Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

firefox vs IE

• Please log in to reply

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
ah.. thx, great help there =)

very useful tips as well

Advertisements

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

If you take security seriously - you should dump internet explorer.

If you take security seriously - you should dump Windows.

View Post

Don't take his word for it. Nor whatever opinions from someone else. Security leaks have also been discovered in firefox. And that's not the only thing it leaks.
Being mozilla, it leaks memory.

Sure, dump windows. Get your grey cloak and join the church of linux! ;)
For it is the truth, the only truth and the only way to enlightenment (which you don't want to try cos it's waaaaaay too heavy to be comfortable)

Of course, dumping Windows is no small matter, but take a look at this forum and see how many things go wrong with Windows and the technical knowledge required to fix it.

View Post

All those things go wrong because of the relentless attacks on mentioned OS. Had all these destructive little wankers been on windows and turned their destructive little creations on linux, it would be topping the list of insecure systems.

I say take the plunge, migrate gracefully - purchase a CD called Knoppix, this allows you to run Debian Linux from the CD drive - it won't touch your windows info.

View Post

And then you have a new OS. Ditch all your software you've collected so far. Prepare to be playing Sim City and Doom3 instead of the newest of the new.
Put up with having to read half a bible before you can do anything.

Get a second hard drive and install Linux on there - so you still have Windows.

View Post

Naaah, if you really want to convert people make them change over immediately. No extra investments to get a free OS to run. Preferrably let them sit in the dark for weeks if they do switch over.

Security issues aside - the guy who mentions 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' - that's good advice, however Windows is broke!

Linux, a derivative of Unix has been around since the 1960's - it's rock solid, stable and secure.

View Post

This is bull. Linux was written by a student. Modeled on UNIX. It has however nothing to do with UNIX. Don't go call SUN when your linux doesn't work. They will laugh at you and tell you to go buy an apple.

Kick start the revolution, one day, Linux will be just as 'easy' to install as Windows - which means it won't be any harder ;)

daveB - LinuxWannabee

View Post

However, by that time real companies will already have a real AI core on the market. :tazz:

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
lol...thats some nice replies/help... thx man. I still went for firefox, and still beta testing it =p

No signs of significant memory leak to date =p

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts

And I don't know anything about firefox. It sounds like just another
flavour-of-the-month browser, of which I've seen many come ( and go ).

Cheers!
Ojo

View Post

I shouldn't dismiss Firefox. Don't know anything about it? Where've you been
for the last twelve months!! Thousands are now using it instead of IE. It is here to stay
and is the first real threat to IE dominance since netscape. Only this time Mr Gates won't be able to kill it off because his company is now under close scrutiny by the authorities on both sides of the world to make sure he doesn't use dirty tricks to stifle the competition. Firefox is a very good browser -- doesn't get 'hijacked' as often because IE is still the most targetted browser since it's the dominant one. Firefox supports all the popular plug-ins. It does not support ActiveX however, so is unsuitable for some websites --- but on the other hand, many will see this as a bonus since ActiveX is often used for malicious intentions.

freek

freek

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Get Firefox. IE IS vulnerable to many spyware programs being added to your pc unknowingly. Firefox is stable, fast and included pop-up blockers so you don't have to waste space to add that onto Internet Explorer. :tazz:. Hope I helped.

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Do keep in mind that firefox cannot do everything IE can.
There is another IE vs. Firefox thread going here. There is more about those problems inthere. Forinstance don't try to go to windows update.
(IE also gets a lot less vulnerable if you switch off all activeX)
So all those people who ditched IE will have problems getting patches for other things and may still end up with a lot of nasties.

Firefox works. It's a nice browser. I've tried it now. I love the tabs. Can't wait till those appear on IE. :tazz: Untill then I'm sure going to keep it.

Thousands are now using it instead of IE.

And thousands can also be wrong. The world isn't flat, even though the entire world believed so. Nor does the sun move around the earth. Copernicus was alone in that when he said the earth moved around the sun. He is still right and thousands were wrong.
The majority of people consists of sheep. They follow their bellwether, blind and trusting. Not questioning anything, but with a tendency to try to convert as many others to their group as possible.

Firefox is a very good browser -- doesn't get 'hijacked' as often because IE is still the most targetted browser since it's the dominant one.

So get it, make it the primary browser and wait for the attacks. See the push crumble. Hear the loud voices mute and hope their statements are forgotten by the time Firefox is the new swiss cheese. ;) Yes, it does seem a nice browser, yes, at the moment it's not yet under relentless attacks, but it will be.
( takes of Nostradamus disguise )

The only solution I can find for all those malicious programs and spyware everywhere I see is: Start www.jerk-execution.com, catch a few authors and quarter them live online. The first one by 4 trucks, the second one you catch by 4 plough-horses, the third by 4 giant turtles and so forth till you come to having someone quartered by 40000 snails. That event should take all day and put the fear into the rest of them. Who knows how slowly the next execution will be? ;)

All that is done through switching browsers or OS is symptom-fighting. Nobody yet seems to have tried to solve the cause. Why is there spyware? Why do some companies believe I can be persuaded to buy their crap by irritating the [bleep] out of me? What glory is there to be gained to crash someone elses machine? Why is this internet (and other) vandalism so popular? Who are these people who seem to be so bored they have to go break things to get a kick, and are such cowards they want to do it anonymously? Can't this breed be purged from the genepool?
Maybe the way of the unique machine-ID watermarked into everything made on that machine is a great idea. At least that way you can track down the perp and punish her/him/it. Yes, I hear the paranoid now go "But that's an invasion of my privacy! They will know it was me who made something". True, but that doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing, this way I could prove a leaked piece of artwork of mine was originally made on my computer, but if you have something to hide you're apparently guilty of something bad.

Ojo.

Oh and Linuxwannabee : The origin of Linux. So you don't sound like a sheep.

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Yes, version 1.02 is the latest. When there is a newer version, a red circle in the top-right corner of firefox will show up. All you have to do is click on it.

Mozilla Firefox is a MUCH better choice than IE. Firefox has a built-in pop-up blocker, it is much less vulnerable to everything, it loads quicker, and the interface is very user-friendly. I would download this right away.

baddabing

baddabing

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Yes, version 1.02 is the latest.  When there is a newer version, a red circle in the top-right corner of firefox will show up.  All you have to do is click on it. 

Mozilla Firefox is a MUCH better choice than IE.  Firefox has a built-in pop-up blocker, it is much less vulnerable to everything, it loads quicker, and the interface is very user-friendly.  I would download this right away.

View Post

I downloaded firefox a few months ago, but have subsequently heard some bad things about it. Admittedly you can use it for tabs and there is evidence that alot of the "holes" found in IE that are not there in Firefox. However, info regarding history & other internet activity is sent via firefox to parent companys for valuable marketing purposes. I have heard this from a few people. The browser on the surface is very pretty and user friendly. I'm sure the info that is being sent is not damaging your pc but if you wanted absolute security for whatever reason - financial etc. then Firefox is not the way forward.

Edited by baddabing, 10 April 2005 - 05:05 PM.

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
:tazz: If you want absolute security, unplug your machine from the net ( and lock the door of the room it's in ) ;)
Ojo

baddabing

baddabing

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

:tazz: If you want absolute security, unplug your machine from the net ( and lock the door of the room it's in )  ;)
Ojo

View Post

LOL - Good boy! ;) :)

Advertisements

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

:tazz: If you want absolute security, unplug your machine from the net ( and lock the door of the room it's in )  ;)
Ojo

View Post

Lol, this gotta be true =p

Well, i tried firefox and i think its good. But i dont see much difference in it then IE, apart from me being more familiar with IE. I reverted back to IE now.

Btw, would it clash if i have both IE and firefox on the same drive at the same time?

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
It didn't clash for me. :tazz:

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
hmm, ok..

D_SnipA.L.

D_SnipA.L.

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
IE6 or any other version SUCKS COMPLETLEY. I have used IE6,Opera, ANd Firefox and id say go with firefox its very reliable nad most similar to IE6 and faster than opera for most users.

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

IE6 or any other version SUCKS COMPLETLEY.

Okay, that's an opinion...

id say go with firefox its very reliable nad most similar to IE6

And that is just hilarious :tazz:

Ojo.