Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp Defrag. Good enough? - ! New problem !

• Please log in to reply

duley3

duley3

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I ran across Diskeeper today. I was reading some reviews on it. The peole that have have said that they like it very well. My question is why would they want to buy something that is already on windows? Is diskeeper better then the one on windows?

Does anyone have any sugestions of what would be better? I really don't care to spend the money right now. So if someone knew of some good free download tools this would be great.

Thanks

Edited by duley3, 04 October 2006 - 05:53 AM.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi duley3,

I feel that most users are OK using the built in utility that Microsoft provides. It does the job and it's there. The people who need third party defragmentors are usually Power Users that manipulate large amounts of files and data and need to assure data integrity and effecency of the drives being used. I personally can't justify the expense. YMMV

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
In Geekstogo.com under software there is a list of free programs you can use. Two of wich they have listed are defrag programs.

http://www.geekstogo...re-t101038.html

Also here is another website that has a very large list of free programs ! (Great List! Highly recomended! )

http://www.econsulta...ties/index.html

I think all of these should help you out and give you a choice of what you would like.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Thanks for the links they were useful. Now that I have added a couple of programs and now I have a new problem.

When I click start then all programs I have 2 column with programs, thats not the bad part. The problem is the 2 columns don't seem to be in the right spot. They go down too far and I can't see the bottom program in either column.

I know the first thing some of you are going to say "adjust your screen" this is not the case. I tried to and it's not that. All that did was make my screen shorter.

Does anyone have an idea why I can't see them? Can I adjust the columns somehow?

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
any ideas for the above post?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Regarding the defragmantation: Microsoft tool on win 98 and earlier was horrible and it was fully justified to replace it with diskeeper or another tool. The one on xp works very well and I don't think the average user beeds more than that.

Regarding the program list: try to right click start > properties > classic start manu > apply. If you are presently on classic start menu change to start menu. Any difference?

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Thanks for the defrag. info..

I'll which to classic when I get home. Its not really that big of a deal But I like to try to keep my desktop clear (free of icons) it's just something I do.. Other wise I would just place a shortcut for those 2 programs.

Thanks again for the info.