Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Textures and pagefile issue (odd stuff)

• Please log in to reply

T-Unit

T-Unit

• Pip
  • 8 posts
So my laptop has an X700 video card in it (Acer TravelMate 4400) and I know that PCI-E graphics will borrow system ram for video memory if need be, which in turn uses up memory and under load can really stress the pagefile. So I created a partition to isolate the pagefile primarily to see if I got a speed increase and to isolate fragmentation. Upon doing this all of my Direct3d textures became VERY fuzzy and unclear. So I uninstall the video card and reinstall with the new Catalyst 6.9 drivers. No luck, upon deleting the partition and moving the pagefile back to the C: drive, everything returned to normal, crystal clear textures once again. Anyone have any thoughts on this, why would the pagefile location affect the textures? Any feedback is appreciated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
PCI-E does not borrow system memory, this is only the case if you use onboard graphics, which is the case in 99% of graphics on a laptop. You probably have an onboard X700.

Putting the pagefile on a separate partition (note: separate partition is not the same as a separate hard drive) was possibly the worst thing you could have done, as it generates more work for Windows to play with it as it has to move across the drive heavily in order to swap data to and from the file, and not all programs like Windows doing this.

T-Unit

T-Unit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the reply, but PCI-E will utilize system RAM, however that is off topic to what the post is concerning. Secondly, isolating the pagefile is a great idea, but only has a benefit if you put it on a different drive.