Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

uninstall ie 7

• Please log in to reply

gomersgotpiles

gomersgotpiles

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I installed IE7 rc1 (7.0.5700.6) (dummy) and it has caused numerous problems i will not enumerate. It does not appear in the uninstall list - even with updates turned on. I found the ie 7 folder in Windows and the "spuninst" uninstaller but that does not work. I went to MS tech support and tried all the formulas (lines) for start - run - enter but they all seem to be for previous betas and not this ver. (i shoulva known better)
Does anyone have an uninstall line for start run enter for this version that works? I want to return to ie6.
The MS support line is a constant busy signal. and you preobably know about dell. (DA)

If not I will reinstall xp. I would like to do it as a repair install but i bought one of the dell computers without a cd and the installed backup only does recovery (my mother says i came from the shallow end of the gene pool) :whistling:

I have external drives i can save files to so no problem there - but i would like to avoid it. Any solutions beyond reinstalling or recovery?

I have an xp cd from my HP laptop. No viruses or spyware.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi gomersgotpiles...

Have you tried %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe from the Run box?

IE7 should be listed in Add or Remove Programs as "Windows Internet Explorer 7".

wannabe1

gomersgotpiles

gomersgotpiles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yes i tried that before and others similiar to that from MS boards "windows can not find that file. It is not listed in add remove programs even with updates on and it is not listed in CCleaner.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Tried System Restore in Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools ?

gomersgotpiles

gomersgotpiles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
system restore was the first thing i tried but ie 7 apparentley wipes everything out before the previous checkpoint.
IE 7 RC1 is a nightmare and Im dumping all MS junk for Apple.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

I know this procedure will remove Windows updates from the machine...we can only hope it will also remove the IE7... :whistling:

gomersgotpiles

gomersgotpiles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
as i said in original post this dell did not come with a cd - only a recovery module (ghost) on the HD. it does not repair - only erases and then replaces to original specs.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
*edit* double post, sorry *edit*

Edited by -OCM770-, 06 October 2006 - 03:36 PM.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
There's a program i believe i still have which will require an XP CD and it will replace the IE files and return it to IE6 which was extremely usefull tu me. this was with BETA1 though. ill look for it and see if it will work. I'ts safe.

P.S IE7 creates a system restore point to when you installed IE7. try that first.

-OCM770-

*edit* ill look for the program on the net it seems i got rid of it. *edit*

Edited by -OCM770-, 06 October 2006 - 03:37 PM.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
XPLite trail try this. it has seemed to work for a lot of people with a similar if not identicle to yours. i can not download it it seems the page is taking to long to pop up(im on 56kbps)

-OCM770-