Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem and needs to close...

• Please log in to reply

jc29ems

jc29ems

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello All,
I was having some problems with a computer running XP Home. When you'd log into an account, sometimes you'd get the blue screen to appear and start counting down dumping the physical memory. I am not sure of the error messages it said. I went ahead and ran all the virus software, etc and still could not fix it. So I went ahead and tried to repair the system using the XP disc. I have seemed to get the blue screen of death to not appear but now I cannot print. I get an error message when the computer starts up that says "Spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem and needs to close" I tried doing what microsoft suggests to do and had no luck: http://support.micro...p;Product=winxp

I have never had a problem in the past printing. Also I am unable to add a printer. The printer list has no printers listed since I did the repair. Anyone that knows what I can do to resolve this problem, I'd greatly apprechiate your help. I was able to get a screenshot of all the messages I can get to comeup when I click to view more info on the error.

Posted Image

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jc29ems...

What kind of printer do you have installed?

Click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". Click the "Startup" tab. If you can, get a screen shot (two if need be) that shows all the applications listed under this tab and attach it (them) here for me.

wannabe1

jc29ems

jc29ems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thank you for the quick reply!

I have a Lexmark 5700 but the primary/default printer is a HP Laser Jet 4 Plus. Below are the screenshots, home they help.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmm...

I'm not seeing anything in there that would cause the error.

Navigate to C:windows/system32/spool/printers. Are there any files in there with the extension .shd or .spl

jc29ems

jc29ems

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Ok this may sound really weird, I went ahead and ran the rest of the Windows Updates that were needed from when I tried to repair my system, I guess they got deleted with the repair. I ran the updates and was not required to restart my computer. I shut it off and forgot to do something when I turned it back on, my mouse would not work. I went ahead and check and non of the USB ports on my computer work. I am going to try and find an old mouse to plug into the mouse outlet, mine is USB. Any suggestions would be apprechiated. Oh yeah now my printers are working fine...

Sorry for the delay in posting, I had to run out to a meeting. I will not be back to get back to you until tomorrow evening around 10pm eastern, sorry for the delay have a busy schedule wednesday's

Edited by jc29ems, 03 October 2006 - 09:01 PM.