Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgraded new bios version

• Please log in to reply

JMLSCOOP

JMLSCOOP

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
changed bois from A06 to A11 cause every time I started it up it would ask (strike f1 to retry boot, f2 for set up ulitilies). Its a dell optiplex gx 150 only after updating did it do anything but now it asks for the samething (strike f1 to retry boot, f2 for set up ulitilies). . :whistling:

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

changed bois from A06 to A11 cause every time I started it up it would ask (strike f1 to retry boot, f2 for set up ulitilies). Its a dell optiplex gx 150 only after updating did it do anything but now it asks for the samething (strike f1 to retry boot, f2 for set up ulitilies). . :whistling:

if it asks for that everytime then your battery is dead or very low....

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Were you able to boot into windows BEFORE it gave you that error message?

JMLSCOOP

JMLSCOOP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
changed with another battery but it could be bad :whistling: . was given this dell all they told me was the bios bad and needed to be updated. It does the same thing in v06 as it does with v11. Will check battery again?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Ok since you were given this DELL in this case its should not be a bad BIOS as this happend on my friends dell optiplex GX110 computer and he just didnt have a partition on his harddrive.

get a 98 boot up floppy disk and choose cd rom support and type at the A:\ prompt

"fdisk" (without the quotes)

Tell us if it says its missing a partition.

If there is we will go from there.

Edited by NickX, 05 October 2006 - 06:37 PM.

JMLSCOOP

JMLSCOOP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I ran the start up disk. went into the fdisk and sat up the primary dos pation drive 1 active. Now is says missing operating system. I dont have a 98 o.s. But i do have a windows XP os to put into its place .

JMLSCOOP

JMLSCOOP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
If bad hard drive could I use one out of another dell(dim 4400). I ran scan disk it didn't find anythind wrong.

JMLSCOOP

JMLSCOOP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I got crazy and traded out the hard drive with my other dell(mb bad and ps bad). It came up with a different screen safe mode best known config and other settings but it wouldn't do anything

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Ok I hoped you backed up all your data is that what you did was you cleaned all the data on that harddrive.

thats a good sign that its missing operating system because you now have a active HD.

Put that hd that came with the computer back in as it is not a bad harddrive from what your telling me.

When the HD that came from the computer is back in let me know and we'll keep going.

JMLSCOOP

JMLSCOOP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
its in now

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Ok great.

Since you said you have a XP disc... pop that in and reboot.

Make sure your CD-ROM is set to boot first.

It should say press any key to boot from cd. press any key you like.

Let it copy the files. choose to setup windows and accept the agreement. It should say you have a system partition on there. I think its to press D to delete the partition but Im not sure. when the drive is unpartitioned choose to create one. Choose NTFS as it is better for XP and 2000. You should only use FAT32 if your dual booting which in this case you are not. Let it formatt. when it wants you to restart, restart. Do NOT!!!! press any key.. just wait for the message to pass. ( this goes for everytime it wants you to reboot.

If your confused on the steps lemme know and ill be happy to help you.

JMLSCOOP

JMLSCOOP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
its doing the partitions now will see what happens next

JMLSCOOP

JMLSCOOP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
THAMK YOU! iT'S UP AND RUNNING.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
ALRIGHT GREAT!!

Thank you so much for the update and im so glad to know that it is up and running!!!