Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up a Wireless Broadband network

• Please log in to reply

Adzi

Adzi

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi there,
Ok here's the problem. I currently have a BT Broadband connection through a USB ADSL Modem (BT Voyager 105). Now, replacing that with a HiPoint Wireless ADSL Router (AWR-2440) has proved a [bleep] of a lot tricker than I hoped. My laptop has a wireless reciever built in. What I'm having problems with is setting up the network on my desktop.

I've followed the instructions in the manual and done all the following...

ipconfig/release
ipconfig/renew
...which has set the Default Gateway to the correct specification in the manual. However, when I type the I.P. address

192.168.**.**

...into my browser and try the setting up of a connection, the whole thing seems to fail and I cant connect to the internet at-all. I think at this point I should mention that A) I've never had experience in networks etc, and B) I have to 'dial up' my connection with BT.

All and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Adam!

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi adzi,

What type of network ID does your ISP use?(pppoe,bridge,MAC.DHCP)

Adzi

Adzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
PPPoE i believe

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Did you set the PPPoE client up in the router for the ISP network login?

You should be able to surf into the router interface and go through set up. If not try reseting the router with the reset button and see if that will let you in or if there is a set up CD give that a try. If the router is supplied by your ISP they would be your best source for help. Some ISP's have good knowlege of some third party equipment and may be able to help still.