Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HD cycling

• Please log in to reply

Wussy Smurf

Wussy Smurf

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hey all, I'm running Win XP Pro and have noticed that the hard drive kicks in about every 3 seconds. I've run msconfig and killed all programs, run cleanup, and updated/run Ad-Aware SE on both logins (mine and the wifes). I log into either desktop and run NO programs what-so-ever and the hd works for about a second, pauses for about 3, works a second, pauses 3, you get the cycle. I haven't installed anything new lately and haven't been to any odd sites (she says she hasn't either). Anyone else have this happen? It started just recently? If so, how'd ya fix it?

Thanks,

frank

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Wussy Smurf...

There's nothing to fix. Even at an idle, a computer is busy monitoring the system, refreshing the monitor, dispaying time and date, monitoring ports...it goes on and on. Every action requires instructions and it receives them from the HDD...hence the flickering HDD LED.

wannabe1

Wussy Smurf

Wussy Smurf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Actually, it turned out to be the Linksys Wireless Monitoring program. I turned off everything in MSconfig, but for some reason the Linksys program was still in the tray. I disabled it and it stopped, until I logged in under my wife's login. The HD started cycling again. I disabled it under her login and it hasn't reappeared since. Kinda weird huh? I have the option to use a WinXP version of it, but I don't really care to have either one taking up resources.

Thanks for the post though.

frank