i tried to do a windows xp set up using these instructions....
This document shows how to configure Windows XP using its built-in PPPoE
adapter to connect to SBCIS via DSL. If you have upgraded your operating
system to Windows XP you may receive errors when trying to connect using
versions older than EnterNet 300 v 1.5. An example of error messages
returned is "E0041: Failed on create device, and E0083: Profile Wizard found
adapters installed in your computer but did not find any with a TCP stack
configured." Since Windows XP has a built-in PPPoE adapter, you can
configure a connection without the need to install any additional software.
Additionally, if you are using a DSL modem that is not compatible with
Windows XP you may not be able to get online. This applies to USB and
internal modems. Please refer to the chart below to determine if your DSL
modem has compatibility with Windows XP. Links are provided to download
sites where new drivers may be obtained for the DSL modem.
Modem Type Compatible with XP Download Driver for Compatability
Alcatel 1000 X -
Efficient 5260/5360 X -
Alcatel SpeedTouch USB Modem - Download Driver
Alcatel SpeedTouch Home (External) X
Efficient 3060/4060 Download Driver
Westell Wirespeed X -
Cayman 3220H Router X -
Efficient 5861/Cabletron Router X -
Texas Instruments (Compaq PC)* X -
* The Texas Instruments modem is only compatible when upgrading to WindowsXP
from the original operating system provided by Compaq.
Configuring Windows XP for PPPoE Dynamic DSL
1. Go to Start > Control Panel
2. Double click on "Network Connections".
3. Under 'Network Tasks' click on the link 'Create a new connection'.
4. The "Network Connection Wizard" will come up. Click on the "Next" button.
5. Select "Connect to the Internet", then click "Next".
6. Select "Set up my connection manually", then click on "Next".
7. Select "Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name
and password". Click "Next".
8. On the 'Connection Name' screen, enter 'SBCIS' in the 'ISP name' field.
9. On the 'Internet Account Information' screen, enter the username and
password and confirm the password. Note that the username must be fully
qualified with the appropriate domain. Click 'Next'.
10. The 'Completing the New Connection Wizard' screen will come up. Place a
check next to 'Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop' and click
11. The connection box will appear. Click "Connect" to access the Internet.
~~~~when i keep trying to connnect to it, i get a "phone line is busy."...
*****any way to change the number i guess or w/e