Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which processor?

• Please log in to reply

sharonrose

sharonrose

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok, I need to upgrade my computer and i am shopping for a new one and i see that there are several different processor types. which one is the best? is there a best? I have seen Athlon, Sempron, celeron, and Pentium. Oh, one more thing. I have Win XP right now and one of the computers i kinda liked has "Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005" ok my question is...what is that and how is it different than Windows XP with the SP2? Please HELP!!!

Edited by sharonrose, 03 October 2006 - 11:20 PM.

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
There are many factors that go into deciding on what type of computer to buy. The most important being:

1. What will it be used for? Will you be using it for gaming, video editing, general web browsing, etc...

2. What is your budget?

In general, the best processors on the market in order are currently:

1. Intel Core 2 Duo
2. AMD Athlon FX
3. AMD Athlon 64 X2
4. AMD Athlon 64
5. Intel Pentium D
6. Intel Pentium 4
7. Intel Celeron/AMD Sempron

You may find varying opinions, but in general these are how the current batch of processors rank. Also, there are multiple versions of each of these processor types and the higher the product number the better the performance. Of course, the better performance also comes with an increased price.

So, if you're looking for a top of the line system, then go for Core 2 Duo. If you're looking for a bargain priced middle-of-the-road system, then I would look into Athlon 64 X2 and Athlon 64 systems.

Edited by kidnova, 04 October 2006 - 11:25 AM.