Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2003 server and NIC

• Please log in to reply

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
Hi guys

This has been going for sometime and it appears to be intermittent, the server runs two NIC’s with static IP’s. One of the NIC’s runs dual IP, both NIC’s are in two separate subnets.

Both NIC’s would stop responding to any incoming requests to access the server, and can’t be ping’ed as well. The only way to get them up again is to reboot the server. The server works fine if you login to it physically but nothing appears in the event logs! Just to mention that the above happens over-night!

I would be grateful if you could direct me in the right direction…

Many thanks

Advertisements

Gophergutz

Gophergutz

Trusted Tech

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
By any chance is this an HP server? I ask because I'm having a simiar issue with a DL140 running 2003.
I've done a ton of stuff to fix the issue, but haven't been able to isolate the cause. I did find some good info today on HP's site that talked about problems with NIC Teaming and I downloaded and installed an update they offered. I'll know tomorrow if it worked.
Apparently it's an issue with a lot of dual NIC systems running WIN2K3 so, even if you're not running an HP, it may be the same problem. Check with the vendor for updated firmware and any patches.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
All our servers are supplied by HP so maybe this is the problem! I will have a look on their site.