Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Outlook Deleted Items Issue

• Please log in to reply

Gophergutz

Gophergutz

Trusted Tech

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
OK, here's what I have:
100 users
MS Exchange 2000 running on Windows 2000
Mix of XP PRO and 2000 PRO workstations.
Mix of Outlook 2000 and Outlook XP.

Some Background: I"m the admin for a medium size law firm (about 100 workstations). The attorneys and the admin staff need to be able to communicate confidentially via email. However, the attorneys demand that their assistants have access to their inbox, sent items, deleted items and various personal folders.

So here's what I did.....
I've set up a Rule in Outlook (2000 and Outlook XP) that takes any email marked as confidential and puts it into a folder called Confidential. This works fine as I've taken any and all access to that particular folder away from the assistants. However, when a confidential email is deleted from the Confidential folder, it goes into the Deleted Items and is then visable to the assistant (because they have access to the attorneys deleted items).

It defeats the purpose of having the Confidential Rule if the end result is that the assistant can browse the deleted items and see the confidential messages.
Does anyone know of a way that I can tell Outlook to delete the confidential items permanently without moving them first to the deleted items? I see where you can have all the items deleted permanently but that's no good as the attorneys (against my wishes) use the Deleted Items as storage...*sigh*....
Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Press tools then options then other and put a tick in empty deleted folders upon exiting, then it's up to them to close the programme, downside is you get an are you sure

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
If they use Deleted items 1st set up another folder for storage.
then do as keith says
Are they using Microsoft outlook or outlook express

Gophergutz

Gophergutz

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
We're using regular Outlook. Both Outlook 2000 and Outlook XP.
Problem is, and believe me I've tried everything I can, that when they hit the delete button, what they really mean is "I just want to get this out of my inbox". So, what ends up happening is I set up a ton of folders and they stay empty because, to the novice attorney, hitting the big X for delete is easier than actually moving the email to a particular folder. Therefore, if I were to set up the "delete items on exit" thing, all the items, even the ones that they want to save, would be gone. Now, as computer people, you and I know that if you want to save something, you put it in a folder and if you want to delete something you put it in the trash, however, the attorneys do not and will not ever, ever, ever understand this. And, they sign the paychecks. So I have to accomodate their behavior no matter how wrongheaded it is. Is there a 3rd party product that can make rules for folders other than the inbox? If I could make a rule for the deleted items, this would be a snap.
Thanks folks.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Have not looked at rules for express I'll give it a try

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
So they delete things they will need later, sounds cool, anyway, as you ended up with the problem, what if you set up a folder on your PC for each attorney, then if they want something out of the way, they press forward, to you, they will need to type the first letter of your mail address before this actually happens, but life's a beach, so, it arrives at your PC and automatically goes to their folder, then when they go , where is the mail from whoever, you can send it back to them.

You can also set your PC to delete on exit as you will have complete control over what goes in there

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
good option Keith
Gophergutz
I know they pay the wages but maybe you need to talk to the head Honcho. Not trying to be nosey just to help with a plan do you work for them or do you contract for them?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Be interested to know if it runs OK, suppose the individual PC's could then have delete on exit, and if Gopher sets his PC to only have one account which is password protected then no-one should get to read anything they are not authorised to.

Gophergutz

Gophergutz

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
These are good ideas. However, I'd like to try to keep myself out of the situation that would no doubt come up if I managed all the attorney's email. As for talking to the head hancho, the dynamics of a law firm prohibit anyone telling a lawyer what to do. Even the head administrator. Believe me, we've tried. I know it sounds like a cop-out, but you seriously have to work with these people before you understand. They refuse to do anything any way other than the way that they want to do it. Period. I have one attorney with well over 10000 email in her deleted items, dating back to 1997. I've tried archiving them and received a Class-A butt chewing for it. In short, everything has to be automated. They hit a button and it does what I need it to do. I wish I had more power, but, as a consultant and not a full employee, I'm sort of powerless. Anyway, thanks for the help.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
What are the changes of updating everyone to microsoft outlook
that way you can have everything archived and an archive shortcut
on the side set to archive everyday then if they delete items
they will be in the archive so you could set to empty the deleted box on
exit?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Is it at all possible to tell them that if they have a file they want to truly delete and not just store in the deleted folder
they hold down the shift key and then push delete. this takes it straight past the deleted folder and the recycle bin.

otacsret

otacsret

• Pip
  • 1 posts
If you use Personal folders, set your rules to move the confidential email to the attorney's PST. When they delete the message from there it goes to a "deleted Items" folder inside the PST file. The assistants with Delegate access can not get to the attorney's personal folder.