Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VPN and IP addresses - please help.

• Please log in to reply

Leehaa

Leehaa

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
:whistling: Hi,

How does VPN work? I thought that if you dialed in to a network via VPN, it would automatically allocate you one of it's own IP addresses, so say when you are connected directly to the network, you get a 10.112.90.? address, you'd automatically be allocated a similar one via dialing in.

I've just been trying to connect to a customer. Was given a 192.168.?.? address and have been unable to connect. I thought that is correct because the address is the address that the user has at home, given to him by his router and not the one allocated when he has dialed in via VPN...

When I spoke to the guy who gave me the address, he tells me that I should be able to connect with that and "it is the standard VPN address"...

I'm totally confused now...Please someone help!!

Feel like giving up support as i'm getting one thing after another wrong and getting very muddled up with everything!!

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
The basics of a VPN are once you connect to a router or a firewall then either that hardware device will give you an IP or it will forward your request to a dns server inside the network. Either way it does this you have to make sure that the router or firewall is set up to give out IP addresses, you only need to use the MAC if you plan on using a static IP.

As for the specific IP it can be any part of these sets:

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
169.254.0.0 - 169.254.255.255 (APIPA)
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

Leehaa

Leehaa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

The basics of a VPN are once you connect to a router or a firewall then either that hardware device will give you an IP or it will forward your request to a dns server inside the network. Either way it does this you have to make sure that the router or firewall is set up to give out IP addresses, you only need to use the MAC if you plan on using a static IP.

As for the specific IP it can be any part of these sets:

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
169.254.0.0 - 169.254.255.255 (APIPA)
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

Thanks. I still cannot connect to the user. I cannot ping them.

I am connected to the network in question (network A) from my office network (Network B) via a default gateway which I think is a router that has a path to Network A (You with me? :whistling: )

The user is dialing in to Network A via VPN.

The IT dept who are on Network A can see the user fine, but, although i'm connected Network A, I cannot see the IP address i've been given!!

I need to connect to the user via pcanywhere...

Why can't I can't see the IP address i've been given?

Thanks,

L.

Edited by Leehaa, 04 October 2006 - 09:27 AM.