Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Virtual Memory XP

• Please log in to reply

barbuk

barbuk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Everyone, New here and first post :) :blink:
What I can do is surf, not very good at anything tech, but can follow simple instructions I think!!
My biggest problem appears to be with virtual memory..My PC has only 128, and at present I am not in a position to increase this. I have been doing searches for any tweaks that may help with the problem, at present I have my VM set to min 192 and max 192 (following advice) I am told that XP uses a lot of memory, even without what I personally use..??
I do not play games :help: , or anything that eats it up like that..I do a lot of surfing TE and use FF with several tabs open..and then it slows right down while VM catches up..I don't think I am using anything to excess to cause this..I have taken advice and run msconfig to see if I can deselect any start-up programs, problem is I don't know what I need and what I don't, so a bit scared of deselecting in case I do more harm than good, if I knew how to show you what I have in there I would..I do my defrag, have spyware/adaware/AVG, all those things regularly
Any and all advice would be gratefully received..
Kind Regards barbuk :whistling:

Advertisements

Nekul

Nekul

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
You could set he virtual memory to maximum of 4 times size of RAM.

Please try below steps to increase Virtual memory and check for the issue.

Follow these instruction to increase the size of virtual memory:

1. Click Start, Settings and then Control Panel
2. Double-click the System icon
3. Click on the Advanced tab
4. Click the Settings button under Performance option
5. Click Advanced tab
6. Click on the Change button under Virtual Memory
7. Select the radio button for "Custom Size"
8. Now, in the box below, increase the number. This will increase the size of virtual memory (low=256, max=512) for you these are the numbers as you have only 128 MB RAM
9. Click OK and close all the boxes (control panel etc.,) and Restart the computer.

barbuk

barbuk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Many Thnx for that I will try your advice and get back to you later on results when I have run PC for a while..
Cheers for now.. :whistling:
Regards barbuk