Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Private Data on a Public Web Host

• Please log in to reply

Nitpicker

Nitpicker

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
You know Nitpicker loves wikis. I want one for a company I work at. But it would contain confidential data!

Is there any sensible way to encrypt the data so that we are not subject to the policies and practices of the web hosting site or even of the nodes our conversations will pass through as we access the wiki?

Is this a problem which has a known literature and known solutions which we could actually use? How much inconvenience are we buying into?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Not really, a wiki by its design and name implies that it's a public board and so anything you type on it would be seen by anybody who comes across it.

The only real solution to this is not to link to it from any other page on any other website, that way it won't find itself into Google.

Nitpicker

Nitpicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well, there are ways to require login, even prior authorized login to post or even to read a MediaWiki based wiki, but that is not enough for company confidential data which could end up on a backup tape or viewed by a hosting company employee. What I am in need of is even harder.

The MediaWiki software allows use of an external editor to edit the pages, so, in principle, one could stick decryption and encryption into the external editor, but I have never heard of anyone doing such a thing.

Anyway, thanks for your response. I appreciate the truth of what you say.