Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Heatsink or Heatpipe?

• Please log in to reply

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
OK, I have, well, no real need to tell you, it is in the signature, but it is a Intel Celeron D 2.93 GHz processor that is running at about 50C most of the time. I got a better Intel CPU fan from a friend and it cooled it down just a little, but it has tayed at 50 alot of the time. It gets upwards of 60-62 when at full load. I realize that this is not dangerously high heat, but i want to get it to run cooler than that. My question lies for all of you builders out there. Which do you think works better in the average mid-tower case with a Socket 478 set-up, Heatpipe or Heatsink. I see that Heatpipes are more expensive, and I understand they keep things cooler, but is it really worth it or should I just look for a better heatsink or fan?

Advertisements

limeman

limeman

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Make sure you are applying the thermal paste correctly. Follow the manual with your proc. A quality heatsink+fan combo should work fine. Check out heatsinks from "Arctic Cooling"

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Well a heat pipe is better but with an Intel CPU you don't really need that much cooling just get a descent thing that keeps it 40C or under.

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
i am upgrading my heatsink and fan also, i am looking at a zalman CPU and heatsink, look great and heard nothing but gfreat things from them

ry

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
well my cpu was hovering around 44 idle and 50 load. So i got the zalman 9500 and some arctic silver. Installed both and the idle dropped to 34 and load doesn't go above 40 so it was definitely a good investment. Shop around you can get both items for under 50. The zalman 9500 does have heatpipes and it's HUGE it does fit on a socket 478 but you should check your mobo compatibility before purchasing it was a very tight squeeze on my p4p800 e deluxe had to remove the psu to install the thing.