Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet connection

• Please log in to reply

^_^

^_^

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have verizon dsl, and i recently restared my whole computer, but my files are still saved, my dsl wont stay on my local area connection, it says aquiring network address, and i kant even go into my modem/router configuration place, i want it so that i dont have to click the connect botton on my VerizonOnline connction box all the time, any suggestions?

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi,

First thing they would have you do is restart the modem/router. (unplug the power and plug it back in)

If that doesn't help try a hard reset. ( push the reset button on the device and hold it for twenty sconds)

If the LAC gets a IP and gateway you should then be able to surf into the interface to set the log in for the ISP network.

See if that helps.

^_^

^_^

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
hmmm nope still i kant access the configuration area

i hard reset my modem/router and my internet turned off for a bit, i had to set a new connection and connect, i need to go back in to configure my settings....

^_^

^_^

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
now my internet connection keeps turnning of and on...this happend before..i start to hear little beeps on the phone..

^_^

^_^

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
hey should i delete VerizonOnline connection and then Hard reset my modem/router?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
In general you don't need the ISP software to connect to the Internet. It is a matter of the network identification that the ISP uses. Most these days use PPPoE with a UID and Password. If your provider is using a different protocol then their software may be needed but not likely.

Most likely the connection software they provide is a PPPoE client. XP has the ability to set up a client with native software so again the provider supplied app is not needed. Aside from native and ISP clients the modems and routers in use today have built in clients that can take the place of the ISP's.

So if you are using the ISP's client to connect that means your modem is in a bridged mode that allows for signal translation to and from your network/PC and you should be able to delete their client and use the router for authentication on to their network. Once their client is gone it should allow for DHCP addressing to be accepted from the router to the PC. Not knowing the particulars of Verizon DSL it's hard to say what requirements they have for log in or address assignment. They would be your best source of information on their requirements and the settings needed to make your stuff work.

^_^

^_^

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
i see, so how do i delete the client and set up the authentication and built in clients? i needed so i can forward my ports....

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Go to Start /Control Panel /Network Connections (classic view). Any Broadband Connection listed you can right click on and choose "delete". Then the Local Area Connection should be checked for settings.
right click on th LAC and choose properties. Once in properties choose Internet Protocol TCP/IP and click "properties". Be sure that automatically obtain IP and automatically obtain DNS are checked and click OK and click OK to get out of properties. Now if you PC is accepting DHCP from the router you should be able to double click the LAC and get a status window with a support tab. click the support tab and note the default gateway, this is the DHCP Server and the address to access the modem/router interface where you can configure the client to do your sign in.

Note: Gaining access to the CPE(consumer premises equipment) usually requires a password and/or uid that varies from manufacturer to manufacture and can also be different if the CPE is provided by the ISP with its own firmware.

^_^

^_^

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
hmmm all those things were alredy there, i dunno...my internet connection seems a bit slower to...

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
you can test your speed.