Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Adding an Internal Slave Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

scottportraits

scottportraits

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Oct 4 2006

Hi,
Just got a new desktop PC. Want to take old internal 'C' HD from old PC and put it in the second slave port of new PC so I can copy data off it onto the new PC's existing master HD.

Upon reboot I keep getting this message:

PXE-E61 : Media Test Failure, check cable.
PXE-MOF : Exiting PXE ROM
(No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key)

I checked the connections and the two slave cables (four prong and multi-prong) were fastened securely into place as they should be.

There must be a trick to doing this....adding an internal HD inside the new PC in the slave socket...and getting it recognized it as a new drive, without it causing a memory test failure.

Any advice and help would be worth some $.

- scottportraits[size=4]

[size=4]

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
make sure you have the primary hard drives jumpers set to master and then the second harddrives jumpers set to slave and then it should work for you

troppo

Bartender

Bartender

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I got the same error when I stuck an old network card (NIC) in a PC. The network card was trying to become the bootable device, even though it was NOT first in the boot device menu. Solution: go into BIOS and disable network card as bootable device. The NIC still works, but BIOS ignores it when booting up.

scottportraits

scottportraits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Oct 6

Okay, yes, the jumpers are now set and the PC accepted the new drives.

Another problem:

When I go to control panel > Network Connections it has my LAN and ethernet icons under hi-speed, but when I right click on the icon looking for 'properties', the window freezes, (no drop down menu), and the only way out is with Task manager terminating non-responsive process.
I now use a different firewall then the Win XP one, but my firewall settings are inaccessible, with error messages that 'associated services' (ICS) are not running when I try to open the dialog.

When I right click My Computer, choose Manage, then open 'services', I DO find that the "Windows/Firewall Internet Connection Sharing Service" is stopped and I am unable to activate or enable it.

The error message is 1068 : Dependency Service or Group failed to start. There are no processes listed under the dependency tab. Stuck. Will not Start. Brick-wall.
Start > Run > msconfig > Services lists this Internet/Firewall service checked and STOPPED.

What do I do now ??? :whistling:

Thanks,

Scottportraits

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
either post this question in the windows forum or post a link this forum is for hardware and you are more likely to get your problem solved in there

thats where the experts are

troppo