Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

have dsl but need backup

• Please log in to reply

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
hey,

I own a grocery store and I have a dsl connection which all my credit card machines run on and all my registers, and computers. The dsl line sometimes goes down, and i am left with no option but to tell some of my customers to pay with cash, or some other kind of payment.

The only available service is sprint dsl in the area i am in.

I need a form of backup so when the dsl line goes down, my backup just kicks in?

Ankush Patel

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. I'm sure we could help you with that to soem extent, but it probably includes you contacting your IPS for different solutions... First, perhaps when you close down the store one night, unplug that modem and router (if you have one) and leave them powered off for at least 30 seconds. Now, if you have a router, plug that in first, and wait about 15 seconds. Now, plug your modem back in, and wait for about 15-30 seconds for it to fully reset. This sometimes helps fix the issue where the modem gives out sometimes. As far as a backup line, I mean if it's your DSL service, and resetting the modem doesn't help, then you might need a switch box of some sort (your IPS could help you with that) and I'm sure it would work somehow... Sorry, it's just an unusual question :whistling:

ankush patel

ankush patel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
well, each time it goes out im having to take out the power from the router and from the modem and do that process. then it starts working, but this is happening over and over again!

so im looking for a back up system so that when this happens i can still run my store

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I see, so resetting isn't helping... Well... Has it always done this, or did it start one day?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Have you discussed this with your ISP's business solutions department? Depending on the volume of traffic your card handlers transmit there may be a dial up solution they can provide. Most ISP's value business customers and have readily available solutions to such issues such as this. With your limited choice you are unfortunately forced to try to work with your provider or perhaps go with satellite which is not good in bad weather,has a high latency and is expensive.

ankush patel

ankush patel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
well no this has been happening, and i constantly have to start reseting it, sometimes i reset it and still its gone for maybe 10-15 min.

I talked to sprint they said they have no problem on there end, and from what they can see they have no records of my internet going down ever.

satellite is a good idea but yet again it does go out

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
If they won't help you, I would really suggest finding a better ISP if possible. I know it's a hassle, but if they aren't going to help you, you can't do this forever. I would consider checking the hardware on the modem, etc. Failing hardware is a possibility... Also, this just came to mind... Does that modem and router seem to get hot? Perhaps overheating is taking place...

ankush patel

ankush patel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
stormknight6 if there was another service provider i would have switched a couple months ago, but for right now sprint is the only one!

im going to try and contact sprint again and see what is going on,
i appreciate everyones help in this matter!

thanks

ankush patel

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Sorry we can't help you more, but it's a difficult situation. :whistling:

ankush patel

ankush patel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
okay here is the plan,

i found a cable service provider that is in my area, im going to use the cable as a everyday use, and if that ever goes out, im going to switch back to my sprint dsl.

that should work.

i appreciate all the help

thanks

ankush patel

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Give it a shot :blink: Keep us updated :whistling: