Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Zune

• Please log in to reply

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Well.
I am frigging excitied for the Zune, it's gonna be sweeet. I really want one and I wished i could pre order one RIGHT NOW. YEs i do know it's avaliable on amazon.com for preordering but, i live in Canada...... And from what i gathered the NOV 14th release date is for US only. (Can any one confirm this?) I don't like Ebay so that's out of the option. SO i guess what i am asking is whether or not any1 knew a store that's in the states but ship to canada. Or the other option i guess is if i could pay any1 to get me one and ship it to me in canada. (i would happy to pay fees for this service)
So if any 1 could provide me with some info as to how to get my hand on a zune, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thx in advance
P.S. Plz don't make this an iPod vs. Zune debate, i like the zune and that's my right!

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Oh yeah, the Microsoft MP3 player! :blink: I'd like to see it myself, but I'm not sure I'd make the switch just yet... I want to see it in action first :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah its a bit foolish to want one before its even been extensivley reviewed and by the sounds of it the DRM will be crippling, and it doesnt even do normal wifi either. And really looks wise its nothing specail all the video players coming out either look like it allready or will look almost identical, the video ipod i imagine will look pretty similar and im sure both creative and sony have an new equivalent although they both have something similar allready, i dare say archos will release a new smaller model to compete as well. Wait till that generation of players is out before making a descision as im sure the video ipod will be as good thye might even be a little easier with the DRM with it.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
I have a 300gb music collection (all ripped from my cds) so DRM is not gonna be an issue. And reviews.... well would you say that the thousands of ppl who pre-ordered the next gen gaming consoles are foolish? I know what i want, i have read the specs, i have owned ipods, i just want a player with a decent screen and a good price plus a customizable UI. When a gigantic copration like MS put their mind on a product, you can expect some very good results they are loosing money on every zune produced right now but they don't care because they are using this mp3 players to establish a reputation and bring some competition to the otherwise Ipod dominated market. Just like what they did with the xbox. I don't hate apple, i don't love microsoft, i just have 300 dollars that i want to spend on a non-ipod player (cause the next gen will probably be released next april or something with the full horizontal scr). Plus if i don't like it i can always return it or sell it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Pre-ordered next gen consoles: yeah i do actually its pretty dumb considering prices drop within two months of release and i would never buy a product that isnt released yet either you have know idea of actual performance, usability or maintenance they could have major flaws that come out after release and you are stuck with a product no one wants.

Also you could very well have a problem with DRM with your ripped music, MS are selling zunes and they arent remotley interested in the mp3 player market its music and video download sales they want its where apple make their money as well they have sold ipods at a loss before as well creative do it to but only for limited periods and its the norm for mobile phones because the money isnt in the hardware its in the service. And just because you lose money on something doesnt mean its any good it just means the parts cost a bomb as they do in the zune case and any device like it its how you put it together that counts.

Its quite possible to lose an entire music collection because of DRM and from some of the proposals from MS on its DRM it makes sony DRM look friendly and sony once wiped my music collection out actually twice come to think of it. DRM is probably one of the most important factor to consider in mp3 player choice if its to restrictive it can ruin the experience and all your music, and the MS stuff has some weird features including rumours of a viral type drm on its wireless.

Prudence is always the best option wait and see, the fact that you just have 300 dollars to spend on a player you want to wait and see and get the best you can wait until its been extensively peer reviewed first compare it to other products on the market or about to hit the market then decide, You cant possible know even part of the specs for the production zune because they change so often things like screen life and battery life change alot most of the models in circulation at the moment are test models they could be pretty different from the real thing and they dont have all the features enabled so you cant possibly guage what its going to be like until its released.

Like i said im pretty sure Archos and Creative are bringing new players out similar but they allready have players like the zune on the market now they are just sometimes expensive, If video is important definately get an archos if music is important creative and sony do good players.

If its 300CN its doubtful youll get zunes for that price as youll probably want accessories, new head phones stuff like that because from what im reading they are shipping with little extras a sync cable for transfer and charging and thats it i think you have to get one of the extra packs to get things like AC charger, dock, remote, Ac chargers are seperate at $30 for the packages with earphones and the other extras its $100, $80 for a car kit.

Also the screen on it has been reduced in size or the zunes dimensions increased from some of the original spec. Caution is always the best policy wait see if its any good first then buy it, if its any good i was thinking of getting myself one for christmas but ill wait and see what its really like and and what other players are on the market.