Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need To Import Entire Registry Back-up File

• Please log in to reply

ElenaHampton19

ElenaHampton19

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, all!

I have recently gone through a tear-filled week of BSOD-trauma thanks to some hidden virii & spyware, but at long last discovered, quarantined & deleted the infected files after turning off System Restore & scanning in Safe-Mode. NOW my problem lies in the registry being REALLY messed up, and it's all my fault.

I had disabled quite a few peripherals in STARTUP under MSCONFIG when trying to troubleshoot my problematic Stop Error (my system would boot, then begin to load programs, then *POOF*...BSOD). Needless to say, when I finally removed the bugs & fixed the error I had problems with some important things, like my sound.
I figured, well, Okay I have a recent back-up file of my entire registry, I'll just import it in REGEDIT & all will be back to normal...WRONG! I get a message box that reads:

"Cannot import C:\XXXXXX.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes."

Well that screwed up everything even worse & now I can't open many programs or even get access to my broadband connection, (I had to research & write this from a friend's computer...dial-up SUCKS!). I thought that I had turned System Restore back on after I had fixed the previous crisis, but it was mysteriously off when I tried to apply that option.

I later discovered in my research that one shouldn't export the entire registry with REGEDIT, just small parts & branches. I had backed up my registry in REGEDIT by right-clicking My Computer (above the hives) and choosing 'export'. I didn't know this wouldn't function when trying to import it again & learned the hard way! I DO have a few saved .reg back-up files of my entire clean, beautifully functioning registry but no way to import it and replace the corrupted one.

Please help, willing to reward successful solution via PayPal!

Edited by ElenaHampton19, 05 October 2006 - 12:21 PM.

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
I realize this isn't going to help you with your current problem, but the best program I have found for backing up and restoring registry is Erunt.

Can be downloaded here: http://www.larsheder...nline.de/erunt/

Easy to use program, has saved my butt on a number of occasions.

As for your current problem (and this is just my opinion) you may have to do a reinstall of Windows, but wait for someone who has much more knowledge than I do of the situation to answer your post.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

ElenaHampton19

ElenaHampton19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I realize this isn't going to help you with your current problem, but the best program I have found for backing up and restoring registry is Erunt.

Can be downloaded here: http://www.larsheder...nline.de/erunt/

Easy to use program, has saved my butt on a number of occasions.

As for your current problem (and this is just my opinion) you may have to do a reinstall of Windows, but wait for someone who has much more knowledge than I do of the situation to answer your post.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thank you, Kniht. I'll look into Erunt for that purpose. I wish I had known more before attempting this myself. I'm not sure a Windows repair-install will fix things, & I REALLY can't afford a full re-install of windows. There must be SOME way I can do this, through DOS or something. I'm offering $10 via PayPal to anyone with the knowledge!

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Maybe trying here might help:

http://groups.google... ...ps&ct=title