Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP pro repeatedly rebooting

• Please log in to reply

neora

neora

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi All,

I was setting up a brand new HP system with WinXP pro. I added user accounts and installed the basic tools like officeetc and the system rebooted and is working fine.

the problem begins here..

when i install the VPN client ,safenet softremote, it installs fine and asked me to reboot.. uite normal. But after i reboot the PC keeps rebooting after a specified time. ie; it goes thru the reboot process windows load and i give crtl+alt+del and i log on and it reboots.. then i realized that if i just left it like that without logging in it just powers off and reboots.... if i was super fast i could do much more than just log in before it reboots... that's how i realized that it's rebooting after a certain amount of time... i read around a bit and realized that the reson could be a sasser worm.... do u think i got a sasser worm from a software that my company paid for???
or it is something that the software has installed that makes the system reboot... is there a way to get rid of that?

I know it is this software that caused the problem cus afterthe first time it happened i restored the machine with the restore cd and again configured it from scratch... and the same thing happened when i installed the vpn client. so i restored it again and configured it to a point that the next thing i need to do is install the software. I'm waiting for the suggestions before i do that cus i dont want to restore the system again.

thanks a lot (in advance)
neora

I'm new to this field and learning as i go(i'm more a network security person than a systems security). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by neora, 05 October 2006 - 05:51 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
first lets turn off auto restart
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

then install your vpn client....this time when the computer restarts itself...it should result in a BSOD....write that message down and post it here..

neora

neora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
k.. i did that... installed the software successfully... now i am going to re start the system.. fingers crossed

neora

neora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. if a driver is identified in the stop message, diable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable memory options such as caching or shadowing. if you need to use safe mode......

technical info

stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0x8061BB47,0xF0610B74,0x00000000)

this is the message i got...

neora

neora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi dsenette,

I got the BSOD ryt?? after that i got into safe mode and went to startup in msconfig and removed the firewall component(in an attempt to isolate the culprit) and restarted it. Now it rebooted fine in normal mode. Just that the Zone alarm firewall component of Safenet Softremote wont work.. Now I need to find out how to get it running without problems.. I was thinking if windows firewall was conflicting with it, but it is disbled. now what??? hmmmmmm

any ideas??/ thanks for pointing me to the ryt direction.

Hope we find a solution for this too...

cheers,
neora

Edited by neora, 05 October 2006 - 09:48 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok....so...you installed the stuff...and by golly...it failed as expected..

Just that the Zone alarm firewall component of Safenet Softremote wont work

intrigues me...what i'd like you to do is turn the vpn jazz back on in msconfig so that it runs at startup...BUT let's do a test here (this is JUST A TEST) if you still have the install media for it...and you don't mind the trouble...go ahead and completelyl uninstall zone alarm (unless you know of an effective way to actually disable it...and keep if from running at astartup...i'm not good with ZA as i don't use it)...then with the vpn software enabled in startup (as if you just installed it from scratch) restart the pc....does it stay alive?

neora

neora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
dsenettte,

I'll tell you what i did after u asked me to disable automatic restart

* disabled the automatic restart
* installed the safenet softremote from scratch
* it told me that i shud restart for the changes to take place blah blah... i restarted...
* it booted up and wouldve let me log in. but after this particlar time the whole thing went down.
* now since the automatic restart was disable i got the BSOD. Noted it down and sent u the message.

* then restarted the machine in safe mode.
* then i intended to check the startup in msconfig. But when i checked services tab i saw the ZA thingy(this ZA comes with the VPN client to add more security to the VPN session) I unchecked it.

* restart the machine normally... it was fine ..
* i logged in and it prompted me to install the ZA component.(that's when i realised that i dint check the startup in msconfig....lucky me.. things were working... ppl go cranky when they're stressed ya see :blink: :whistling:) anyways...

* i thot i'll see what happens and i installed the ZA stuff....
* and poof .... the BSOD....
* restarted in safe mode..
* went to startup in msconfig... uncked the ZA thingy and left other VPN client compnents intact.
* restarted normally and it's working fine(minus the ZA component, ofcourse).
* i even imported a policy to the VPN client and it worked fine.. dint get a chance to test though.
* and i posted the partially success story...

i'm sure the VPN client would do it's job without the firewall part that came with it. But i wouldnt want the user to do split tunnelling... i want the firewall there so that when he uses the VPN he can access only that. Otherwise i'll have to be worried about various points of security vulnerability.

hope it clears ur doubts... whenni install the VPN client it also installs the ZA firewall with it..

thanks again for the prompt replies... please keep more ideas flowing..

Edited by neora, 05 October 2006 - 10:29 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well there we go...it's not the vpn client...it's the "za thingie"...which was the point of my last post (when you mentioned ZA i figured it to be the culprit)...the question is...was zone alarm installed on the system already or did ZA only come with the vpn client?

neora

neora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ZA was *NOT* installed ... it came with the VPN client..