Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just set up my network . But it seems a little slow

• Please log in to reply

duley3

duley3

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I have just set up my network. This is the router that I have. I have the first pc wired and runs fine. The 2nd desktop is wireless. The speed seems a little slow. When I check it with the sftware that came with it, it never really gets above 11. I have a very good signal.

This is my first time working with a network so please bear with me a little. Could someone help me in speeding things up a little? I will post what ever info you need just let me know.

Thanks

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. How fast can the wireless adapter go, assuming it's running at its best? Perhaps it can't go faster?

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
125Mbps ?? Does that sound right? Right now I'm running at 24. Mbps Is that good or not really? Like I said this is only the 2nd day of playing with networking. I will try to explain everything the best I can.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
This is the card I have

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
ok we'll go with that. Strange how it does that... The speed that you're running at is pretty sluggish though... Anything in the manual about this?

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I have been looking for hours now.. I can't really see anything.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I guess the 125mbp is high speed on the router. The card states 54mps. I have been tring different channels and things still with no results. I can connect and veiw the web (sometimes). I have a very good signal it's just I can't get above 11mps very often.

One other thing I noticed is when I switch user on this PC sometimes it can't find an IP address and never connects.

Should I just call tech support on this? Or does anyone have any Ideas?

If anyone has THIS and/or THIS Could you please jump in here. I sure it's just a setting or something. But if anyone had the same router and card they would know what I'm looking at when I "try" to explain it.

Edited by duley3, 06 October 2006 - 05:40 AM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
hhhmmm... Well, if you can't do this, then don't worry about it, and just call the manufacturer, but do you have a spare wireless adapter you can try?

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
No I wish I did. I thought about that too. I had a pretty good speed today (I Think?) 48Mbp Felt pretty good. But now I have only 5.5Mbps .

Another thing I noticed is if I have a good rate I restart the system and then I have NOTHING. I have to get in the utilities and try to connect a couple of times. This was with the secrity WAP2-PSK on with shared key.

Now I'm going to start ALL over again (uninstall everything) Start fresh with out secrity and see what happens.

I'll let you know.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Give it a shot. You'll need security for later, but maybe WEP would work better for you.

(Edited for grammar)

Edited by Stormknight6, 07 October 2006 - 08:00 AM.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Still the same thing.... Conects until I restart the PC then can't after that... I'm at the point of pulling my hair out. I'm Just going to call when I get home tonight.

Thanks for lending a helping hand.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I agree, give them a call... Something's not right. Keep us updated.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Well I think (I hope) I finally did it. I started all over again and ALSO reset the router to the default settings. So far I got to restart the system (PC) many time with out any problems (Knock on wood).

Right now I don't have any security set. I'm almost affaid to set it. What type of security should I use? I don't think I'll try the one I did before...

Do I need to change the default router IP? Just seems like others could get into my router if they typed the IP in the address bar. Or does it not work that way.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I would use WEP if you can. It's pretty secure. Also, 192.168.10.1 is not your IP address. That's the router's IP, but for internal use, if that makes any sense. For example, my neighbors have wireless. If they go to 192.168.10.1, it will only load their network settings, and nobody elses. You must be connected to that network for that IP to work. Otherwise, nobody can access your settings, unless they are able to get into the network.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

You must be connected to that network for that IP to work. Otherwise, nobody can access your settings, unless they are able to get into the network.

Right I know thats for the setting. But you answered my question. I was worried about othe people entering the settings.

I would use WEP if you can

I have 64bit and 128bit ... I should use 128 right?