Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP install - F6 feature and diskette reader

• Please log in to reply

Gswiss

Gswiss

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
I am trying to get to the XP built-in repair feature because I want to use an old XP-SP1 system disk on a new Motherboard.

I need to go through the F6 feature during the XP install from cd because I need the UDMA drivers from the ASUS MB cd-rom. The problem is, when the time comes, XP asks me to provide the drivers through the diskette reader. Is there any way to direct the XP install process to a cd reader?

Some of the files are too large to extract to a diskette. I did try the diskette by including just inf and sys files, but there’s always something missing like a xxtxt.oem file or other which I provide but then it asks for something else.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You shouldn't need to install UDMA drivers.
You only need to provide drivers on a floppy disk in one of three situations:

1) If its a SATA hard drive and the system insists on treating it as a RAID (sometimes you can change this in the BIOS

2) You need a separate driver for the SATA controller before Windows can see the drive

3) If you are actually running a RAID array of drives, these almost always need an F6 driver installation.

Drivers installed via F6 are always done from floppy so far as XP goes so if you can't fit the files you need on floppy, they're almost certainly the wrong files.

Gswiss

Gswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Even if I wanted to install an XP from scratch, it would not work. I have IDE disks which I connected to the primary IDE connector on the MB and since I get a 7B error message with a BSOD when I don't press F6, it probably requires the UDMA drivers on the cd-rom.

The Mb came with a cd-rom. When I use the "Make Disk" option on another pc which is supposed to extract the required files to a diskette, I get the message "Unable to get disk information".

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No it doesnt need drivers for IDE there is probably another problem XP has drivers for that allready and if they were meant to be installed via F6 then they would fit on a floppy and usually provided with the mobo on floppy, make sure the drive is properly jumpered and connected try resetting and/or updating your bios.

Gswiss

Gswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I'll get a chance by the end of this week to work on this pc again.

Gswiss

Gswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I finally succeeded in completing what I had in mind.

The bottom line is that the ASUS P5LD2-VM Motherboard is geared towards S-ATA disks and it doesn’t appear to favor P-ATA. It has two IDE connectors and four SATA. Actually the blue IDE is for 100/66 IDE devices (probably aimed at optical drives). The red one is for UDMA up to 133. It is supported by an ITE 8211 Controller. Connecting the lone old System disk (XP-SP1) on either one ended up with a 7B message in a BSOD screen.

1. I slipstreamed an XP-SP2 installation cd (I learned that the built-in repair install feature was not available on SP1). I extracted to diskette from the defective Asus cd-rom all items linked to XP ITE.
2. I connected the lone old System disk to the red connector. I launched the install process from the slipstreamed cd and pressed F6. The ITE drivers from the diskette were used further on.
3. The installation succeeded all the way first time through despite new motherboard and I recovered all initial programs and features from the old environment. I just had to update from the Asus cd some of the drivers unavailable (or outdated) in XP-SP2.

As a fallback procedure, I had this gadget which allows you to connect an IDE disk to a SATA plug on the MB.

Thanks to all for for suggestions provided

Edited by Gswiss, 14 October 2006 - 05:53 AM.