Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless network Prob

• Please log in to reply

nogard

nogard

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok I got this network.....

I have 2 wirless notebook computers, and two wired computers connected to the network no problem.

My buddy bought a new notebook, but it won't connect to my net work.......I have no wep, or anything blocking him, its an open network, As I live in the country and the onlyclose enough to steal it, are th deer.

This is the error he gets whe he tried to connect
Posted Image

We did the repair it did not fix the problem, we have went to other site that are wirless and he connects just fine.......He picks up the network, it just won't connect.

The router is a USRobitic 8054 wireless G Turbo

Like I said its an open network,and none of our other computer have any problems connecting.

2 - Notebooks Are OS XP home SP2 - they connect (Wirless)
1 - desktop OS XP home SP2 - it connects (Wired)
1 - desktop OS 98 SE - it connects (Wired)

The computer failing to connect Notebook HP - OS XP media Center

It will connect at other places just not on my network.........I have no clue how to fix the proplem, all of the setting are right on my network, and other computers have no proplem connecting, just this one new notebook computer of my buddies.

Advertisements

Kmoe

Kmoe

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm by no means an expert but check the setting on your router. Check if there are any access restriction setting that you may have missed or if you may have the router set to DHCP server (Yes). If so there is a setting to the max number of DHCP users..not sure if that would cause your buddy not to access but check it out .. Any Geeks out there? I stand corrected.
Also, I just notice your router is a wireless G. Check to see if his notebook is compatable to G. You may have to switch the router to mixed.

Edited by Kmoe, 05 October 2006 - 07:36 PM.

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok DHCP is enabled, but it does not restrict how many computers can connect to my network

(IE: meaning there is not a setting that allows or changes how many have access to the network, within the DHCP setting, if there is its beyound me.)

I tried to disable DHCP, and it took me 45 mins to get back on the internet, I had to reconvigure the entire network, and replace all the setting, I will not try that anytime soon.

His computer is wirless G.......

As far as the max useres for DHCP, we did a little test, we shut down the other two notebooks, so that they were not on the network, they were not even on, Still he had the same Issue, so its not a setting where as to many computer tring to connect....Even by his-self he cannot connet to it.

Edited by nogard, 05 October 2006 - 11:59 PM.

Kmoe

Kmoe

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry dude.....US Robotics has a good tech support site http://www.usr.com/s...t/s-contact.asp
or you can review the pinned info at the top of the "geeks to go" network page..

I don't have your router I have a Lynksys with 2 wireless desktops, 1 wireless notebook, and one wired computer. Your problem is probably something really simple a setting or something you overlooked. It's frustrating buy hang in there maybe someone else around here will post your solution. Good luck. If you fix it post a reply with how you did it.

Edited by Kmoe, 06 October 2006 - 10:55 AM.

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
thanks for the help.....I will watch this tread for a few days and see if anyone else has any ideals........

I have triple checked all the setting.......