Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Gaming Motherboard and Video card

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Ok so im building a new system.

Right now i have P4 3.0 HT
1 gig DDR2 Ram
and a really bad video card...like a gforce 5700 (agp) or something like that

I know everyone says wait for dx10 video cards. But i want to build a whole new system. I was planning on buying 1 expensive part every paycheck, lol. Just wanted to make sure the parts I plan on getting will be compatible.

(thats not compatible with a P4 right? only the core duo?)

Also I was going to buy this video card to hold me over until the dx10 cards come out

If i install 2g ddr2 ram, and a mid range core 2 duo, will i be able to play bf2, sof2, or any other equivalent game at decent settings?

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
If you're talking about wether or not that mobo and that card are compatible, then the answer is yes. The mobo has two PCI E X16 connectors which means it is actually SLI ready as well. However, it is also compatible with P4 chips as well as shown here:

So, you could feasibly buy these two components and use the rest of your current hardware until you can afford to upgrade the CPU. The only question would be what type of RAM do you currently have as this mobo only supports 533/667/800 MHz DDR2 RAM.

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
To be honest i wouldnt bother upgrading until at least november or december apart from RAM the market is going to change next month pretty drastically now i a bad time to buy mobos , cpus or gfx cards.

Maybe get a new case or PSU now or a monitor something safe but essential.