Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linux

• Please log in to reply

jesse1579

jesse1579

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I'm new to linux and trying to figure out which distribution to use. I'm looking for something that is pretty easy to load, since I'm new to this os. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Advertisements

Bartender

Bartender

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
jesse -
Take a look at the previous posts. There are at least three people asking the same question in just the last 2 pages.
You'll see people who think Ubuntu is the best. It's been at the top of the downloads list for weeks. Others really like PCLinuxOS. SimplyMepis also rates highly. SUSE is another good one. There are others, and I hope a few people speak up with their favorites.
I'm kinda new to Linux and have only used Ubuntu. Started with Breezy (last version of Ubuntu), running Dapper now. Lots of Linux knowledge is transferrable to other distros, but now that I'm a little bit familiar with Ubuntu and comfortable poking around on Ubuntu Forums for help I keep putting off trying some others.
Even though that would probly be a good idea.
Round up 3 or 4 distros on CD's, and run them "live" so that no changes are made to your HDD. See what you think. Check out which ones seem to work best with your PC.
Don't just bail on a distro you like if something important doesn't seem to work. Do some checking. A coupla days ago I helped a friend convert his old Dell to Ubuntu. Firefox wouldn't go online. It took me a day of research to find out about turning off IPV6, which was a ridiculously simple fix.

Then do your homework before deciding whether to dual-boot, or install to an old spare PC, or whatever.

EDIT: take a read thru the pinned thread at the top of the page...more ideas there

Edited by Bartender, 05 October 2006 - 01:27 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
For easiness i would personally have to say ubuntu of all the distros ive given a try its my favourite and if you get dapper lots of easy ways to set it up automatix and easyubuntu make it as easy as a 3 word command in terminal and a few clicks.

There is a really good new Ubuntu release 6.10 edgy eft coming out somewhere around the 24th of October im using the beta and its great. Although if you are really new dont bother with the beta wait for the proper release its not long.

What you get would also depend on your use of the system i wanted something simple and stable but with enough support that i could get quick help and because Ubuntu is popular and based on Debian linux it makes it really easy to find support through forums wikis or how tos.

I use my linux install mainly for internet browsing, listening to music watching videos and the most important thing fortran coding because the GNU gfortran compiler is the best out there and its linux only.

I always wanted to try Suse but they went partially commercial with some versions you have to purchase i dont know if they still do that but it put me off. Simplymepis is Ubuntu/debian based so thats a plus. Alot of people i know use Fedora core 5 with good results.