Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express 6 Undo compact

• Please log in to reply

LMS100

LMS100

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:whistling: Hello all, really need your input. I thought i was just freeing up space when asked to compact. I thought there would be a zip-like file for me to unzip. according to help, there is a dbx file; but searching on Windows Explorer wasn't successful. How do I uncompact for I need to get some of those emails!! Please advise. Many thanks.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi LMS 100
In Outlook express go to Tools > options>maintenance. Click on store folder.
This willshow you the path to your folder.
The easy thing to do is just put your mouse cursor on the path(do not click on any buttons) click and hold, run your mose to the end.
the address should now be highlighted in blue. With the cursor still in the blue right click and click on copy.
Now go to start >run Put the cursor into the run box right click, click on paste click on ok.
this will launch to your dbx folders.
Cheers
Peterm

LMS100

LMS100

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you! I was working with Gateway Customer Support until 3:30 AM (PC is old so Microsoft doesn't support OE, and the files are corrupted and completely and totally gone. We found those .dbx files right where you indicated, and the file sizes were just enough to keep the folders but not the emails. And though I thought I had backed up the hard drive, I missed those emails. I do appreciate your suggestion. Thank you again. Linda

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Linda
This could be worth a shot. or at least a look.
1. Exit Outlook Express.
2. On the desktop, double-click the Recycle Bin icon.
3. Locate the backup file. The file should have a name that resembles mail_folder_name.bak.

Note In this file name, mail_folder_name corresponds to the mail folder that is missing in Outlook Express. If more than one file is corrupted, you may have to restore more than one file. When this occurs, the Recycle Bin contains more than one mail_folder_name.bak file.
4. Right-click each Outlook Express backup file, and then click Restore. The file is restored to the %userprofile%\local settings\application data\identities\user guid\microsoft\outlook express\ folder.

Notes• In this path, %userprofile% is typically C:\Documents and Settings\user_name.
• In this path, user guid resembles {05A26C0D-1173-4013-84A0-EAC2A1FE40F6}.
• If more than one identity profile is used with Outlook Express, there may be more than one user guid. Each unique user guid corresponds to a separate profile.

5. Locate the %userprofile%\local settings\application data\identities\user guid\microsoft\outlook express\ folder.

Note This path contains hidden folders. If you want to view this folder, enable the Show hidden files and folders option in Folder Options.

If the %userprofile%\local settings\application data\identities\user guid\microsoft\outlook express\ folder contains a mail_folder_name.dbx file that is the same as the file that you want to restore, move the existing mail_folder_name.dbx file to a different folder. You can delete this file after you successfully restore your e-mail items.
6. Right-click mail_folder_name.bak, and then click Rename.
7. Change the .bak file name extension to .dbx.
8. Start Outlook Express. Your e-mail items should be restored.

Don't worry about the path stuff just yet more of look in the recycle bin Step 1 - 3
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 06 October 2006 - 02:29 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Also if you have emails that you must have then for $5.00 this may be worth a shot
OE6 Fix

Let me know how you go
Cheers
Peterm

LMS100

LMS100

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for both of these suggestions. While there were 70 .bak files (but none in the Recycle folder, there were not any for Outlook Express. So, I went to the OE6 Fix site, paid the $5, waited 1.5 hours, and then sent him an email stating the download instructions hadn't been sent. He indicated on his Web site if the instructions weren't received within an hour, to send him an email. I'll let you know if it works! Thank you again!!! Linda :whistling:

LMS100

LMS100

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I received the file (OE6 Fix) but it didn't work. He offers an upgrade for corrupted folders - not sure anything will be able to be retrieved. Thank you again for all your help! Best wishes, Linda