Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Newbie needs help removing viruses [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

mikehende

mikehende

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hey guys, new to the virus thing and need some help please. A friend of mine brought over his pc and said it has some viruses, I did not want to put that pc on my network so I downloaded AVG free edition unto a cd and intalled and ran a scan on that pc which turned up 45 infected files and a Trojan, I had thought that AVG would auto-clean the infected files like the way that Yahoo Online Protecetion does but I guess not, what is the easiest way for me to clean the 45 infected files and also is there another free AV program which I can download unto a cd to load, scan and have the software itself get rid of the viruses? Thanks.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
Hey there mikehende, welcome to Geeks To Go Forums.

You are infected with malware, so to start getting rid of your malware please read this: Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log (Click on the link)

That will give you steps that will help you clean up 70% of the problems yourself. Then please download "Hijackthis" and run Hijackthis with log. Save the log file here: Malware Removal - HiJackThis Logs Go Here

Please also post through any other logs you may have from virus scans such as your AVG scan or anything that can make the job easier and faster to fix.

When you have followed all these steps, I will then re-view your log and we can take a look at removing your malware.

Thank you, I will be awaiting your reply :whistling:

mikehende

mikehende

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, sorry for taking this long to get back to you, very hectic weekend, appreciate the help and have read through the link so now I have a much better idea of how to go about this malware [thanks], regarding this my friend's pc, he told me to run the recovery as he does not have any important files which need saving so I did this but next time I will come here to handle all things malware but in the meantime I still have to address this issue concerning posting logs on the forum? If I have an infected pc I will not wish to place it on my network so what options do I have to post logs here? Or if it were you, how would you go about this?

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Hi, sorry for taking this long to get back to you, very hectic weekend, appreciate the help and have read through the link so now I have a much better idea of how to go about this malware [thanks]

Hey there again mikehende, no problem at all.

regarding this my friend's pc, he told me to run the recovery as he does not have any important files which need saving so I did this but next time I will come here to handle all things malware

Great!!! I am glad your problem Has been resolved. Anytime, GeeksToGo is always ready to help.

but in the meantime I still have to address this issue concerning posting logs on the forum? If I have an infected pc I will not wish to place it on my network so what options do I have to post logs here? Or if it were you, how would you go about this?

Well some strands of malware actually mess up the internet connection giving you no access at all to the net. In this case you would need to find a computer with any type of internet connection just to be able to post through your log or to find a fix tool for the problem of not being able to access the network.

In your case where you are afraid of having the computer connected to the network, you can then also find a different internet connection where you will be able to post a log through. If this is not possible you should try your best to clean the infection with programs like AdAware, Spybot S&D, Ewido, ect... and sooner or later you will have to get onto the network to notify us of your problems or to get fix tools if you have identified the infection.

OR you can join GTG malware university where you can learn how to remove malware yourself. It's great (http://www.geekstogo...ware-t4817.html)

If you have any other questions, please let me know. Cool :whistling:

therock247uk

therock247uk

Expert

• Expert
  • 14,672 posts
  • MVP
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :whistling:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.