Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Windows XP Install

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have a Win ME PC i'm trying to upgrade to Win XP Professional using a CD. After running through a long install process, the PC stops with the message "The file 'asms' on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD is needed."

The window as a drop down combo box with either C:\<something> or A:\, and there is NO browse button.

Researching the MS site suggests XP isn't recognizing the TDK velo-CD RW drive I'm using. Researching the TDK site says I should download some Win XP generic CD drivers.

Looks like I'm in a Catch-22. I can't update the drivers for XP if I'm running ME, but the PC won't recognize the drive after I upgrade to XP.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Trusted Tech

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Assuming the problem is with the drive (not likely as the install gets most of the way through) then you'll need to either a: put in a new drive (a regular old CD-Rom just for the install) or b: figure out what the real problem is. It's possible that the disk is faulty. it's rare but I've seen it before. And please don't take it personally when I say that ME is quite possibly the worst OS ever. It's not meant as an insult to you, but as a possible culprit in causing problems in the upgrade process.
It's also possible that your current harware isn't supported. It's been a while since I've done an XP upgrade, but I belive that you're offered an opportunity to check your hardware's compatibility before starting the install. Might be worth a look.
Did you start the install as an upgrade from within ME or boot to the XP CD with intentions to over-wright the current OS? If you are starting the install from within ME, then there really isn't much difference between copying the whole cd to the hard drive and running the setup from there and sticking the CD in the drive and clicking "Upgrade". If it's truly your CD-RW causing the problem, then the setup should run all the way through if launched from the hard drive.

Either way, best of luck. May be worth hitting up a friend for his CD-ROM just to get the install done.