Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Dead - Noticed broken heatsink bracket

• Please log in to reply

limeman

limeman

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hello - I have a dead system. When I opened the case, I noticed that the two clips holding down the P4 heatsink were broken, so the heatsink did not sit flat on proc. The computer did shut down in the past after being on for a while. So I'm assuming that the proc was overheating and shutting down the system. Today, the system would not start at all - no beeps - no lights - nothing. I pulled the PSU plug from the motherboard and plugged into a 20 pin atx power supply tester. When I plugged in the outlet cord, the PSU fan started and the hard drive started up. But when everything is put back together.....nothing happens. Does this mean that my motherboard is dead, processor, both, or some combination?

The system is a dell 2300 dimension which I believe is a dell mobo so probably expensive to replace.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

racinmason001

racinmason001

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
I am A+ core hardware certified just recieved it so I am still pretty green in troubleshooting, But from what I learned in classes is a cpu that does not have proper cooling can be rendered useless in a matter of minutes while running so I am gonna say the cpu is smoked. It probably is not posting because you need a working power supply, mobo,cpu,ram and if you want the post to be visual you will also need a monitor and some type of video adapter, so that is probably why you are getting a dead system upon an attempted reboot. I hope that this helps you and remember I could be wrong.

limeman

limeman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I agree with you about the proc. Any comment on why the HD is powering up with the power supply tester?

Thanks for the reply.

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

I agree with you about the proc. Any comment on why the HD is powering up with the power supply tester?

Thanks for the reply.

Because the power supply is not faulty, so, it is sending power to the items plugged into it, and yes, CPUs fry in a matter of minutes, oftentimes seconds.

--bmwboy

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Sometimes if the CPU is burned it is visible and you can actually see the burnt spot. Try taking the heat sink out and then check the CPU.

limeman

limeman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
No burn marks - no heatsink = no boot/startup/power/nothing/nada

I'll be buying a proc in a few days - thanks for your input

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
before u go out and buy stuff, i highly suggest taking the pc in to a shop and pay them 10-20 bucks to check out all the components. It could save u some money and grief. It could possibly be that the mobo is fried and ur proc is fine. who knows i had a problem with a fried mobo and it turns out that it was just a mobo and not anything else.