Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Sound

• Please log in to reply

jsaklas

jsaklas

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
First, to inform you: I am a novice; explain everything clearly and completely.

I know this problem is common and that numerous solutions have been posted; I have
tried most all, but I still have no sound. I do not have a separate sound card;
it is integral to the board (ABIT IT7 Max2).

I had sound, but after removing (with the help of a forum contributer) a complex virus/spyware that could not be removed by Norton or Spyware Doctor, I lost sound.

When I try to play, from the hard drive, an .mp3 or .mpg file, for example, I get no sound.
(I do get the video from .mpg or .wav, etc. files) I get:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound
device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be
in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."

When I try to play something from the RealTek player I get: "Cannot play back the
audio stream: no audio hardware is available, or the hardware is not responding.
(Error=80040256)"

From RealPlayer I get "Cannot open audio device. Another program may already be using
it. "

From the Sounds and Audio Devices in the Control Panel I have all 3 elements (Sound
Playback, Sound Recording and MIDI....) in the audio tab as: No ...... Devices.

In the Device Manager the Audio Codecs and the Legacy Drivers it says: "Device is Working
Properly," but there is no mention of any sound card.

In Administrative Tools, under Services, there is NO service labeled Sound. There
is a service entitled Windows Audio: It is "Started" and "Automatic"
There is also a Plug and Play Service that is also "Started" and "Automatic." (I
could list those that are "Disabled" is necessary.)

I have tried the various "Troubleshooter" processes in the MS Help sections, all
without success (not a surprise, given it's form MS).

I went to the ABIT site and downloaded again the file (a376.zip) that I think contains the drivers. I unzipped it (using the old DOS PKUNZIP - which still works!) then double clicked on the setup.exe file. This did not help at all.

I interupted the boot to get to the BIOS menu and there was no where I could "enable"
any audio device.

Please Help

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
go to your control panel......open system.....click hardware tab.....then click on device manager

go down to...sound video and game controlers...click the + sign do you see yellow exclamation mark.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Rushin1nd

No, there are no exclamation marks. But there is no sound card there either. There are Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Media Control Devices and Video Codecs.

Thanks for helping

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
in control panel have you check sounds and audio make sure its not muted an the volume is up highand place volume icon in task bar click ok

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
rushin1nd,

The system does not recognize any sound devices, it reports that there are no sound devices; they are "grayed" out. So there are no active volume controls.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
go to control panel....sounds and audio....open it......under hardware tab click on it.......click drivers

are these grayed out or unavailable or can you update driver.....

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
In the hardware tab, I have: Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Media Control Devices, Legacy Video Capture Devices, and Video Codecs. None are "grayed" out. When double-clicked on, they all say "Device is working properly."

I also have my two media drives listed in this Hardware Tab: ATAPI DVD DUAL 4XMax, and LITEON CD-ROM LTN 526S. These also say, when double-clicked upon: "Device is working properly."

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://www.driverski...YS0N/13720.html

thats for LITEON CD-ROM LTN 526S

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Why would a driver for my CD-ROM help my sound problem? I get no sound when I play any audio or video file located on my hard drive.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
ATAPI DVD DUAL 4XMax

this probably needs updating

----------------------------------------

LITEON CD-ROM LTN 526S

if the drivers were infected and they got corrupt then a fresh installation of same but new uncorrupted drivers might help but if they are consider to be working properly then some configuration need to be done

---------------------------------------

Advertisements

Knight_Wolf

Knight_Wolf

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Take the cd you got along with your motherboard and install the sound driver again...shld solve the prolem

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Knight Wolf

Bought the machine used, ergo No CD

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Rushin1nd

I downloaded the updates for my two media drives. Still no sound.

My daughter just told me today, that she smelled something like burning plastic about 10 days ago, that was about the time I noticed that I lost sound. I removed the cover of my computer. I see or smell no evidence of a burn. Is it possible that the sound card portion of motherboard could have "burned out" and yet everything else on the computer is working perfectly?

Thanks again.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
when opened cover was the inside dusty

and if it was did you clean it

you also had this error so try this out see if it works

(Error=80040256)" try RealTek player after you try the following

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cannot play back the audio stream: no audio hardware is available, or the hardware is not responding (Error= 80040256)

1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, click Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices, and then click Sounds and Audio Devices (or just Sound and Audio Devices in Classic View).
2. Click the Audio tab, and then click the Advanced button under Sound Playback.
3. Click the Performance tab, and then move the Hardware acceleration slider to a notch closer to None.
4. Click OK, and then click OK again.
5. Click Yes if you are prompted to restart your computer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if something is burnt but you still get Error= 80040256 then maybe the above fix will help real tek player

Edited by rushin1nd, 07 October 2006 - 10:23 PM.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Rushin1nd,

Thanks for sticking in there.

Once I get to the Audio tab I can not go further, i.e. click on the Advanced button under Sound Playback, becuase Sound Playback, Sound Recording and MIDI Music Playback are all "grayed" i.e. the Default Devices report: No Playback Device, No Recording Device and No MIDI Playback Device.

Since last we communicated I purchased Driver Detective. A waste of money. It found older drivers and I updated all of them, but I still have no sound devices.