Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Sound

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jsaklas...

Check the computer manufacturer's (or motherboard if this is a build) and see if they have chipset drivers available for your board. On machines with integrated sound, the sound device is controlled by the South Bridge of the motherboard chipset. Download and install them before we go any further.

wannabe1

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Sorry for butting in but i once had a very similar problem were i was listening to music and the power went out when i t came back my computer had no sound, there were no exclamation marks in device manager and still there was no sound. I tapped f8 on next boot and selected "last known good configuration". Sound has worked since then (i use integrated sound (realteck AC97))

Hope im not wasting time, but only do it if this sugestion is aproved by a trusted tech like wannabe1.

-OCM770- :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The "Last known good configuration" option would work if this is a registry problem, but it sounds more like a driver issue. Because the machine is showing no sound device installed, I'd like to explore the motherboard drivers first.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
wannabe1 and OCM770,

Today I've been working on window casing, baseboards and assorted other trim. It's such a pleasure to work with my hands and tools that I understand. I will back on-line in about 2 and 1/2 hours.

My computer is a "Build." It has an ABIT IT7 MAX2 motherboard, as best as I can tell. I have loaded several drivers from ABIT (e.g. the file names were a376.zip, a371.zip and I believe a373.zip) but it hasn't helped. Perhaps too many drivers?????

I'm just taking a short break now, but I will be back on line in about 2 and 1/2 hours and then again around midnight, Eastern Daylight Time.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Jim

Edited by jsaklas, 08 October 2006 - 02:52 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
I asked wannabe1 to look over and help your situation

1--you recovered from malware and it may have corrupted your drivers and some other possibilties...tried to fix new driver dowload unsucessfull software repairs

2--your daughter also indicated that she smelled smoke or some burning this could indicated serious hardware

hardware problem.

so i went back to your first post and studied error

(Error=80040256)" so i was hoping to get real tek going

if any other program was using audio device it may have windows media player

but i was gonna let wannabe1 be the judge of that ...if it was being used by WMP then disable WMP and it

should allow REAL TEK PLAYER to gain access to sound........

--------------------------------------------------------------------

last known good configuration

this for registry error or repairs.......yours is a hardware issue.....not a software one

Edited by rushin1nd, 08 October 2006 - 03:31 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try These Chipset Drivers from Abit. Looks like you got about every version of the AC 97 drivers, though.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding, my bad. I'll do some investigating and come back, you said nothing looked burned or smelled bad right?

-OCM770-

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
wannabe 1,

I download the file you recommended and executed setup.exe. It loaded OK; still no sound.

I always have used Windows Media Player or sometimes Real for music, .mpg, etc. The RealTek thing only showed up after I loaded one of the ABIT drivers several days ago.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...now open Device Manager and expand Sound, video, and game controllers. Is your AC 97 sound device listed?

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
No, there is no sound device listed, only codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices and Media Control Devices.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you reboot after installing the drivers?

This is starting to look like the motherboard may have a problem...bad South Bridge. Not sure yet, though.

Let's see if AC 97 Audio is present in the settings...I know you've checked these, but please check them again for me.

Open Control Panel and double-click on the "Sounds and Audio Devices" icon.

Under the "Volume" tab, put a tick in the box to "Place volume icon in the taskbar".

Under the "Sounds" tab, select "Windows default" in the Sounds Scheme drop down menu.

Under the "Audio" tab, make sure that your AC ' 97 device is listed in the top two sections...if not, select it from the drop down menu.

Under the "Voice" tab, make sure the AC ' 97 device is listed in both boxes...if not, select it.

Under the "Hardware" tab, look at all the devices in the list and post them here for me.

Click "Apply" and then "Ok".

Now look down by the clock...is there a little speaker there? If yes, double-click on it and make sure there is not a tick in the box next to "Mute" and that the Volume sliders are all set to at least halfway.

Reboot

Sound?

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Yes, I rebooted (It was automatic after the last "finish.")

I can not do what you asked because when I open Sounds and Audio Devices Properties, Everything is "grayed" out. That is, when I enter the Volume tab, it says there is No Audio Device, hence I can not tick: Place volume icon in the taskbar. Similarly, in the Audio tab, all devices are grayed out and reporting No .... Device. Same with the Voice Tab.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I knew you were going to say that... :whistling:

Download and run WinAudit. Audit the machine (click the Audit icon, upper left). When the audit completes, in the left pane, click on "Sound, audio, and game controllers"...then expand the catogory. Is AC 97 Audio listed in either the right or left pane? (You may have to scroll down the right pane a bit.)

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I loaded and ran the program and clicked on Audit. "Sound, audio, and game controllers" was not listed directly, but I found it under Hardware Devices. Again, the only things listed were codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices and Media Control Devices.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yeah...I'm afraid the actual device is toast.

I'll bet a new sound card would fix you right up, though. :whistling: