Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

games interruption

• Please log in to reply

okeee

okeee

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
When I play games that are not really heavy, there are still small interruptions. Mostly the games play smoothly, but now and then there is a short interruption. These games only need approximately 400 mb ram, and the pc has 1024 mb ram.

the parts:
Win xp, AMD Athlon 3500+, 1 gb ram, geforce 7900gt

When playing a game, I see that cpu usage is 100%

Advertisements

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
That's because your pc uses all it's resources to let the game go smoother than normal.
If it would just use about 30% CPU usage for the game, it would only be on minimal speed required, so the game wouldn't go as fast as it should.

What's your powersupply, you got a very nice videocard and it needs enough power.
I check your given specs and I guess you need a minimal of 400 Watts.

Edited by IO-error, 06 October 2006 - 02:41 AM.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
When playing game make sure you close all unnecessary background tasks as these use resources that could be used for the game.

What games are you playing?
Have you tried reducing the quality settings in the games?

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Well I have mostly a small program like msn messenger on while playing a game, but this shouldn't be a problem, because these games are quite old and don't need as much as 1 gb ram. I first played the same games using other pc-components, I first used pentium 3, 128 mb ram, also with msn messenger on, and they played smoothly.

So when using 1 gb ram and amd athlon 3500+ , shouldn't the same old games run smoothly as well?
I have 450 W power supply.

When I do not play a game, I check task manager and for cpu, non-active systemprocesses is 99%.

Edited by okeee, 06 October 2006 - 05:35 AM.

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
does anyone know why?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
when playing a game it uses all the system resources (cpu) on a single core. On a dual core system it is much more effiecient.

Beyond that, we would need to know what games are experiencing the issues. are you playing multiplayer or single player?