Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just can't get rid of malware...

• Please log in to reply

ivo04

ivo04

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hi all,

my request seems a bit ridiculous compared to all the others I read before registering.

I have a dialer/trojan on my PC that I simply cannot get rid off.

I have AVG, Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy on my PC, have downloaded Defender from the Microsoft website, have run it through the 2 available on-line scans there, and have downloaded and done a "free test" with most of the available sites on the www (which are the "safe" ones anyway...? Although a free scan on Panda picked something up, as did PC Doctor)

I have also taken it to my local computer shop to be healed, and they couldn't even get rid of it (granted... I don't think the guy was any good!), coming up with some nonsense about how the dialer had to be on an email in my hotmail account, as the malware used to stay dormant until I log into hotmail. (Although this was a coincidence)

I tracked the dialer down using Defender (was looking at "Software Currently Running" when it dialed up to the www) and, even if I manually delete the Temp folder it is in (after re-booting the PC in "Safe Mode") it just comes back and back every time I log back onto the www. (I am unable to deleting the file manually when not in "Safe Mode", as I get an error message saying that the file is in use.)

The dialer is more of a pain than anything else, as I have blocked the number it is attempting to call, and, once I have closed the connection down, and turned the PC off and on again, it doesn't seem to trouble me again until the next time I log into the www.

But I am slowly losing patience, and want rid of it!

Regards, and thank you in advance for your help and consideration.

:whistling:

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi ivo04. Welcome to GTG.
Please go to malware forum and follow the instructions at the top
Specially the CLICK HERE.
That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of
all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having
difficulty and you may not be
Then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.
Click Here before posting a Hijack This log.
http://geekstogo.com...o_Here-f37.html

Please be patient it may take some time before one of the
experts can address you problem.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from
the malware expert, please return to this thread.

ivo04

ivo04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hi again. I went through all the Steps suggested and no luck. :whistling:

I have therfore done a Hijack log - where should I post it? Should I post it here, or elsewhere on the site?

Regards

Edited by ivo04, 08 October 2006 - 01:44 PM.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Post it in the malware forum found here
http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html

ivo04

ivo04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts