Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with music code

• Please log in to reply

ruthye

ruthye

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi

I need help but real help. I got my site, when it loads the music start way late. ok great. now when you click in other button to other page the new window opens in its window and the music of this new page start too, now I got 2 windows with two midis playing, now if I click in the 4th button that has music too it opens in the second window where the second song are playing and it start its own music,, so I got 2 windows playing different music. What I have to do, that when the index page is load and have its music, and I click in other button the music of the index stops and I can then hear the new page music. I mean how I stop the page to play when I hit other page button, I don't want to have the index page playing a midi in the background when Im in other page that have other kind of midi. mess right? and if I want to hear the new midi I need to go to the index stop the music box and then go back to the new one and hit play.

well here is the url and in there check the buttons of the left, the first and the 3rd have midis. I think you can understand better checking by yourself.

http://www.geocities..._psp/index.html

thanks in advance

Advertisements

Matt T

Matt T

• PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
is it really necessary to have the music playing? I know some people how would find it quite annyoing to have music just start playing. You could stop the problem of having two pieces of music playing at the same time by getting them to open in the same window. It it really necessary to have the pages open up in new windows? They might also be blocked by a pop up blocker on some peoples computers. The music probably starts playing later because it still has to load.

~Matt :-)

silencedmessage

silencedmessage

• PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
Hi Ruthye,

The website looks nice! There is one thing that i may suggest, but i cannot explain because I know next to nothing about CSS, but im sure there is a way of doing it which someone else could hopefully explain :whistling:.

IF you were using HTML, i would reccomend using frames to set up the page/buttons on the page. That way you could target all the links to the middle of the page where the information is, and the entire page would not have to reload, meaning the music wouldnt have to reload. Of course, you wouldnt want the music to be loading on each individual page...

Example: You have index.html as your home page. You set up the site into multiple frames, and name the middle frame where you want the other pages to load as "targetframe". When you target the "support our troops" button to that frame, you would only want the text for that page to load, not all the buttons and everything else. This way the music will continue to play, and will no longer be interrupted.

Now how to do this with CSS?

good question... i dont know nearly enough about it to give any advice, so hopefully someone else will step in from here and help you out if you wish to do something like that, i hope i explained well enough...

im going to shoot you a PM with a page im working on that shows an example similar to what im talking about.

Good Luck!

ruthye

ruthye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi

I post a message saying I found the problem but it seems I did something wrong and the message didn't came through. my problem was that I redirect the pages to open in other window, Imean I put TARGET="_BLANK"> and I should have TARGET="SELF"> so the page opens in the same windows and the music of each page load fine. the thing is that I want to open the pages in a different window, but I got confused and put them all to open in external windows. and all I want was that the external links opens in a different window. so I check all the code and find out that indeed I put all to open in BLANK instead of SELF or PARENT. but thanks all for the advises. I do hope you keep helping people the best you all can.

thanks

Ruthye

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

IF you were using HTML, i would reccomend using frames to set up the page/buttons on the page.

Never use frames.... ever... that is big no-no number one in web page design.

ruthye

ruthye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi

can you tell me why? Im relative new in codes and will save your answer for the future, ones never know.

I do appreciated if you do.

thanks in advance

Ruthye

IF you were using HTML, i would reccomend using frames to set up the page/buttons on the page.

Never use frames.... ever... that is big no-no number one in web page design.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
Frames are bad at a Search Engine Optimizer's point of view. I suggest you look at this topic, it's in the w3school's forum, i think they have a good solution, in the 12th post. They come to the conclusion that you should use an <iframe>. here it is: adding music to sites

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Ruuuun from the frames. Design your code based around frames, then launch it in IE, then Firefox. Then you'll laugh at how much time you've wasted

silencedmessage

silencedmessage

• PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Frames are bad at a Search Engine Optimizer's point of view. I suggest you look at this topic, it's in the w3school's forum, i think they have a good solution, in the 12th post. They come to the conclusion that you should use an <iframe>. here it is: adding music to sites

You web design people need to make up your minds!

The last time i tried gettind advice on my website i was lectured endlessly for making use of an IFrame... quite a few people told me to just go with frames. Either way the idea is the same. I currently use an IFrame to get the effect i was talking about, but thats why i didnt include a link, i was thinking i would get another "talking to". Either way, what i meant was just to have something to target the links to, such as a frame or IFrame. That way it keeps the song from having to reload with each click.

GrantG

GrantG

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
In that case, it may not be a great idea, you may resent it, but have you thought of programming your site in javascript also? Functions, such as the one you mentioned are much easier to program and will work much better than any solution you find using html/css.

Advertisements

boomercj

boomercj

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

You web design people need to make up your minds!

Web Design is fluid. Techniques, standards, conventions are going to continually change as technology changes. What is the newest, best way this month is old hat next month. I'm going to go out on a limb and risk severe spankings from other members and say - There is no absolute correct way to build a website. Yes, I know W3C has their standards and conventions. Yes, I know that mot popular browsers support one style over something else. But in the grand scheme of things, if your website achieved your goals, then for you, the website is set up correctly. If its a website to share with your friends or coworkers and it works on their computers and you don't care how it looks on anyone else's, fine. You've achieved your goal and your website is perfect. On the other hand, if you want to sell merchandise to the masses, and only a select few can use the website, then of course you will need to set it up to standards so that most of the rest of the world can see. Identify your goal, build the website accordingly.

Someone is going to have to burn all of my soapboxes.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
well said :whistling:

boomercj

boomercj

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Thanks, tankz!

Tex©

Tex©

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I love the web sight and I agree with the Iframe or just frame and why dont you just try to put the music box like in a corner + when I went to check your sorce I was stoped from right click however the is still a way to get to you sorce code I use Firefox and i just went to my menu and clicked on view sorce so its not as hidden as you would like...god thats a good sight

This is in Firefox

ProbFF.jpg

====================

This is in IE

ProbIE.jpg

Edited by Tex©, 19 October 2006 - 10:45 AM.

ruthye

ruthye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hi

WOW that awful looks? I check in firefox the first day I upload the index and it was looking normal, and now the words are in top of the music box, and that big box is showing . ummmm and I put the right click only for IE, and even in IE you go to edit and click view source. I just put the no right click in the graphics and thats almost for newby people. cause someone that know programs know how to take a graphic no matter the tricks the owner put in them. there is always a way to grab them. but if a newby see the graphic and right click it will discourage to try again. and some artist TOU's want their graphics with no right click.

I think , ok could I have firefox, IE and the other browser in the same computer? or there is a place where you upload the page and see it in different browsers? Im asking a lot Right? lol I know the page doesn't meet the WC3 requirements, but the site is for the learning group have a place to download and read what the yahoo group page can't show, like graphics. and is working fine in that part. but I did not know it will look that bad in other browser. and more strengh is that the view with any browser site, check the pages and approve all browsers. is really strange. now i dont know what to do. well I check tomorrow how many in the group have other browser then IE. maybe thats why not all the members see the files or pages. but they dont specified what they are looking at neither. oh boy. well thanks to all to point me in the right direction.

Hi Text

the music box in the three pages that have music is in the bottom corner the index one in the left bottom and the give credits and soldiers page in the right bottom corner. I pass about 2 hours without lying fixing the spaces so they stay in the bottom. could the use of front page 2003, make it seen in the corner and when upload they are really on a dfferent spot? sorry to ask so much I just got about 7 month in this world of internet. and I though I was doing fine. for been the first time I do a web page. it tooks me nights and long days making them and all by trial and error. oh well I check from tomorrow on and see how that css or IFrame working. I just hear that words in here. lol I do know some codes but simple HTML, nothing fancy really.

thanks to all

Ruthye

Ruthye