Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows explorer -- disappearing files after copy?

• Please log in to reply

jollymoon

jollymoon

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I created a new folder. Call it "!dummy" . I "right clicked" on another
folder that was already existing called:"monkey" and "moved" the old folder
and files into the new folder using the "drag" command-- all on the same
drive.
Now the folder name "monkey" appears in the new folder
"!dummy" but ALL of the files disappeared and the directory reads 0...where
did all the internal files of "monkey" go? Are they recoverable? Norton
UnErase doesn't show them and they are not in the recycle bin. (I even tried
finding them in "safe" mode)
Is the "!" in the folder name the problem?
How, PLEASE, can I find the missing files. All I tried to do was move a
folder full of files to a new folder and WHAM...trouble.
Thanx for your help...

Advertisements

hamamo

hamamo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
this is a starang problem
this is the first time i heared about thing like that
could you check ur pc for viruses

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Open up dummy go to Edit
do you have the option to click on UNdo move

jollymoon

jollymoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Boy Howdy !

Thanx for your quick replies, I was really beginning to wonder...(all those photos, memories and homework assignments!)

Your answer to check for "undo" helped me see another option in the right click menu "Sharing and Security" that I had never seen or used before.

There were no viruses or trojans as I had just fresh reinstalled XP home edition for the 6th time in 6 weeks due to hard drive and BIOS issues. I noticed in the "Sharing and Security" a greyed-out option for file sharing with others on my network. I had not created a network with the "Network Connection Wizard"... So I did and VOILA ! ALL my files re-appeared.

Thanx for your tweaking my attention, so that I could "heal thyself!"

OOPs! spoke too soon: only the FIRST folder on the "moved" folders yielded the "lost" files...the other ten folders remain closed, even after I unchecked "read only" and "share with others on this network"...

Hum...still trying to recover the other 10 folders. score: "User=1, computer=10"

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Have a look at this
Best viewed with internet explorer
Take ownership
Cheers
Peterm

jollymoon

jollymoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
thanx peterm:

I was actually reading this earlier and getting very frustrated. so close duoh....!

THEN I noticed you had to be in "safe mode" !

So, I get that far and click the security tab and there are NO users OR groups and every checkbox or entry line is grayed out?? (even the stuff under Advanced) I am the Administrator (only user) and an extra account (mr. windle) that is ALSO an administrator...what gives? If both accounts are administrator should they not be allowed to make these changes?

I was able to "move" one of the folders I need to "Shared Documents", but access only goes two layers deep...I am one step from "seeing" or "copying" individual files, still stuck in a "access denied folder".

I even read on another board that I should use SFC /scannow or CHKDSK to try and recover missing files/information, but I don't know if that is good to try yet. Also there was mention of "Services" might be interfering, but not which one. Anything I do further makes me think that I could "overwrite" any existing files/directories.

I will keep researching about the grayed out options on the Security Tab.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
ok lets try and backup the dummy folder you created then restore it to another place.
Do you know how to use back up ?
Read this one I did before to give you an Idea of what I am trying.
If you don't understand it let me know. It is not exactly like yours because it is 2 drives but gives a rundown on backup and what we are trying to achive.
Backup
Cheers
peterm

Edited by peterm, 07 October 2006 - 02:47 AM.

jollymoon

jollymoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Wow,

way foreign territory for me, but I thought we were getting somewhere.

I did the backup like you instructed (after loading the "Backup" option from the windows XP disk)

Exact same problem, but at least I have a backup. "access denied"

I have access to UBCD and Ubuntu linux.

Anything at this point is worth a try.

Greets to all ya kindred downUnder...

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

Now the folder name "monkey" appears in the new folder

What if you copy monkey to desktop ?
If this does not work then I will ask Johanna to have a look. This type of thing is her baby.

Edited by peterm, 07 October 2006 - 07:41 AM.

jollymoon

jollymoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
yech...

I am about to give up on this...

I could not move or copy to the desktop, or the Shared Documents, or individually select each of the folders under "monkey" and "share" them.

"An error occured when trying to share. Access denied. The shared resource was not created at this time." is what I get ... "at this time" gives me hope.

Thanx for all your help...I'll keep trying.

I still haven't fiqured out the "grayed out" for the safe mode security tab options.

Try UBCD? Ubuntu?

Let me know.

(ALSO ! when I did the backup I could see that the individual files were being copied/backed up...so it seems like they are still around.)

-----2 hours later-----
(I was able to access all the files in UBCD and copy them to a new direcory...but when I tried in windows XP again, I was denied) I used the Security tab [right click on folder name] that was STILL grayed out but was able to go to "Owner" tab, then "advanced" and then let "administrator" take control.

HA ! I used "user accounts" in control panel to create a new user in XP with administrator access and was able to access the files!

Hope all this reading will help someone else recover their files. Sure wish I new what started all of this access denied junk!

Edited by jollymoon, 07 October 2006 - 09:38 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Thank you for taking the time to post your solution to the file ownership problem. You never know who you will help down the road.

Thanks, Jollymoon! :whistling:

Johanna