Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

20-pin and 24-pin mobo

• Please log in to reply

Donarudo

Donarudo

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I have a mobo thats 24-pin and my psu is 20-pin. I read somewhere online that you can still power it up even though its risky if you just plug it in that way. I don't know any stores i can buy an adapter from and online isnt worth it after factoring in s+h fees and all the waiting. I tried this and the green light on the mobo turned on for a few secs and before I got a chance to power up pc the light turns back off... anyone can tell me what that means. Thanks.

Edited by Donarudo, 06 October 2006 - 05:44 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Only thing you can do is purchase a new PSU that supports 24-pin motherboards.

Fenor

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
The non fancy ones are about 10 to 20 dollars now a days.

Donarudo

Donarudo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Well the PSU I tried it with was only 350W but I have another one coming in tomorrow that's 500W but it's still 20-pin so hopefull yhtat works.

Donarudo

Donarudo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Well the PSU I tried it with was only 350W but I have another one coming in tomorrow that's 500W but it's still 20-pin so hopefull that works.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Just curious, but why do you keep getting 20-pin PSU's when they will not work with your motherboard?

Fenor

Donarudo

Donarudo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
The 500W PSU that's coming in tomorrow is apart of the atx case which I ordered prior to knowing that my mobo needed 24-pin.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can use 20pin PSUs with a 24-pin motherboard. Which is how I'm typing this right now.

You'll just have four empty pins on the power connector; that won't be a problem. Just make sure that the clip on the connector block lines up with the clip on the connector itself and that it locks in, then one side or the other will be the four empty pins. Worry not about them, the boards are designed to be backwards compatible.