Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ntldr is missing

• Please log in to reply

Debra Corsetti

Debra Corsetti

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I receive the message "ntldr is missing - hit CTL, ATL & DELETE" when I start up the computer. I have windows xp. What can I do to get my computer back up and running? :tazz:

Advertisements

Gophergutz

Gophergutz

Trusted Tech

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
this may sound a little like I'm being a smarty pants, I assure you I'm speaking from my personal experience when I say this......you ready?....OK, the last time I saw that, I had left a driver disk in the floppy drive. since the driver disk had a folder called windows on it, the PC thought that it had found the windows folder but didn't see the correct files. ntldr being one.
and for the sake of all the work you'll have to do I really hope that's all it is.
good luck.
jason

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Look at this thread, but at Step 4, choose R -- to repair using recovery console instead of set up windows now

You will be asked for a administrator password, if it is Windows XP Home, just hit enter (no password)

At the prompt, Type cd ..
(takes you to the root of drive C. Note that there is a space between the d and the two periods ).

Type the letter of the CD-ROM drive, followed by colon (probably d:)
Type
cd i386
Type
Copy ntldr c: .
Type Exit

Reboot. Does that dix it?

Debra Corsetti

Debra Corsetti

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Jason,

I did double check that the drive was empty because my daughter has left a disks in before. That was not it. thanks thou.

Gophergutz

Gophergutz

Trusted Tech

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Rats. Well, it was worth a shot.
I ran the whole repair process only to get the message again. Then I find that I had a driver disk in and that was causing the whole problem. Well, I think gerryf is on the right road here. you'll need to copy the file from the i386 folder. that should fix it.
good luck.

Debra Corsetti

Debra Corsetti

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry I am new at this site and do not know the lingo.

What is a "thread" or where do I get the steps? Sounds like it will work.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Sorry debra....I am slipping with my cut and pastes today :tazz:

http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts