Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building A System

• Please log in to reply

erndawg101

erndawg101

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
A friend of mine has asked me to build him a decent system on about $900. Here is the list of items i'm plnning to purchase from newegg. Does anyone see any (potential) conflicts?

http://secure.newegg...tNumber=3390631

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I don't see any conflicts, however I do have a couple of suggestions. The core 2 duo processors have rendered the entire Pentium lineup obsolete, so you would be much better off building him a core 2 system. I would suggest sticking to 1G of RAM and using the extra $100 to upgrade the mobo, processor, and video card. You can always add more RAM later, but for now 1G is enough to run any program out there unless he is doing some heavy video editing or graphic design.

I would also go with a better brand of PSU as the last thing you want is a cheap power supply.

Edited by kidnova, 06 October 2006 - 08:37 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I would get a core 2 duo system aswell instead of the older Pentium 4 processor. Go down to 1gb of ram for now and get an Intel Conroe core 2 duo processor, Core 2 duo supported motherboard, and get a better powersupply because that powersupply looks to be cheap but it might be okay..

I would rather go for this powersupply..
http://www.newegg.co.....pply - Retail

You get what you pay for but it not too expensive. On the cheaper powersupplies they might say 550watts but I guarantee it doesnt have the full 550watts. You have to watch out about that sometimes especially if you decided to get a dual core rig you would want to spend the extra $20 for a reliable powersupply.

The antec powersupply I posted above even lists its real max load while the cheap one doesnt..

The antec's max load is 530watts and is a really good powersupply.