Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reinstall XP home (Gateway 9550)

• Please log in to reply

fanton

fanton

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi,

I'm sure it has been covered already, so maybe I can be pointed to the instructions.

I want to Reformat/Reinstall Windows XP on a Gateway solo 9550. I've tried following two sets of Instructions from Gateway, and neither has worked. I have the Drivers/Apps/and OS CD's. PC will not boot from these, although Bios is set to boot from CD, always boots to XP.

Here is one set of instructions:
http://support.gatew...09594si12.shtml

the other:
http://support.gatew...750959408.shtml

I believe this was a SP1 computer. The Op Sys CD states that a newer version of windows is on the computer than on the CD. although system properties says SP2.

So, How can I get this computer back to how it came brand new. And then will I be able to update windows?

Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If SP2 was installed from Microsoft Update then you will need to use add and remove to uninstall it before being able to use an XP SP1 CD

fanton

fanton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
after using the SP1 CD, will I be able to install SP2 again from microsoft update?

Oct. 10, 2006 is last day for support for SP1 i've read.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
yes, i have done it. Keith is right you do need to uninstall SP2 then you can reinstall windows THEN you can install SP2. I would recommend downloading SP2 if you reformat alot that way you always have SP2 ready :whistling:

-OCM770-

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

If SP2 was installed from Microsoft Update then you will need to use add and remove to uninstall it before being able to use an XP SP1 CD

You can use an SP1 CD regardless of whatever Service Packs are installed, and it will repair quite happily.
The thing to look out for though when you do this is you often end up with a hybrid installation of XP which won't be entirely happy until SP2 is back on there, so therefore you should ensure you have a copy of Service Pack 2 available.

The date about Oct 10th just means there will be no new security updates after that for Windows XP running Service Pack 1 - the easy solution round that is to just install Service Pack 2 and it takes care of the rest of the updates on its own.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts

I want to Reformat/Reinstall Windows XP on a Gateway solo 9550.

You can repair, you cannot use an SP1 CD to format the install if SP2 has been added until SP2 is removed

fanton

fanton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks, This has worked great. I think this was Pre SP1. The install worked great, and I had to download a ton of updates, and then SP1, more updates, and now I'm getting back SP2. Boy does that take a long time!!!

Cheers.

PS, great links in your Sig, keith!

Edited by fanton, 08 October 2006 - 07:25 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thanks for letting us know