Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[Problems] CDs can't be read on older ver WINDOWS

• Please log in to reply

venn

venn

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
[Problems]
I have a DELL computer that should operates using Windows XP but to save cost, i installed Windows ME. Then i recently i bought new CD-R. Then i have a portable CD-RW DVD Burner. I try to plug & play them. The computer recognised the device. But when i put in the CD-R it can't be read.

I tried putting the CD-R into the CD-ROM drive. It can't be detected too.

[Facts]
I do know older computers can't read later version CD-R.
The CDs and burner are 100% working fine. Because i tried them on a Windows XP.

I tried putting the CD-R into the CD-ROM drive. It can be read.

[Solutions]
It is impossible for me to upgrade to Windows XP.
So i think the only way is to upgrade the driver.

Am i correct? Or is there anyway to solve the problems?

Can i just transfer the driver from the newer computer to the older one? To make the matter worst, the computer don't have a connection. How can i transfer the drivers? Can i just go to WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/ to get the driver files and overwrite those in the older computer?

Once again, it is the driver for the portable burner that i am going to upgrade not the CD-ROM drive.

Advertisements