Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer NOT exploring!

• Please log in to reply

Edoardo

Edoardo

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
A few days ago, my IE suddenly stopped connecting giving me a page not found or unable to find server message and this was shortly after I installed the latest version of Java plug in and uninstalled all the older versions. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the plug in hundreds of times but still no joy. I also discovered I had suffered a very bad virus attack (I had temporarily deactivated my anti virus and spy ware s/w just to see if this was preventing IE from working) which made my System32 folder dissapear but all that has now been put right (THANKS TO PIETER) and SFC shows that all system files are in order. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled IE6.0 several times. The crazy thing is that all other progs that need Internet access such as Skype and MSN Messenger all STILL WORK JUST FINE so it does not seem to be a connection or network problem Besides the other 4 computers on my home network are all working OK through the same router and ADSL gateway!

Another crazy thing is that IE connects up OK when run in Safe mode but I have also tried disabling everything but the most essential in the startup files (including the registry) but still nada!

I have checked every single setting in IE (comparing it to my laptop which is working just fine) even though I had not changed anything but still nothing!

I am running Win XP Pro with SP2 on an Asus mobo with a Pentium 3Ghz dual core processor with 2Gb of Ram (which has also incidently been checked).

I have been playing with PC's ever since they were invented and am considered to be something of a whiz with them but this problem has really got the better of me - can anyone please help - I need the sleep :whistling:

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Did you run the repair tool for internet explorer ?
1)Go to add remove programs tell it to remove IE and then click repair.
or
2)On the connection tab under tools LAN settings make sure all boxes are UNCHECKED
Or
3)Go to the connection tab in the properties of internet explorer and run the setup wizard again.
Cheers
Peterm

Edoardo

Edoardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi PeterM - thanks for the prompt reply.
I've tried all your suggestions (had already tried two of them!) but to no avail. I don't get the option to repair IE, only remove or install (I'm using the add/remove windows components section of the add or remove programs because IE does not appear on the normal section). Also, the only item ticked in the LAN section is äutomatically dicover settings"but I've tried it with and without and it had always worked with it ticked before I had the problem. I tried the settings wizard but it didn't change anything.

Since posting, I ran RegCure and it found and fixed hundreds of faults but ins pite of this, IE still won't access the Internet unless running in Safe mode!

I'm getting pretty close to a full reinstall of XP but am almost prepared to cut my left pinkie off in order to avoid that :whistling:

Edoardo

Edoardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Incidently, the error at the end of the IE window when it deosn't connect is "Cannot find Server or DNS error"!

Since it works OK in Safe mode, it strongly suggests a driver/DLL or software conflict but I haven't a clue what kind of conflict could stop IE from finding the server or DNS and there is always the fact that everything else accessing the Internet does so easily!!!!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Before a reformat why not a restore ?
Why do you use IE and not firefox
Do you know how to do a restore or do you need advice
If you click on remove does it then give the repair option ?

Edited by peterm, 07 October 2006 - 06:50 AM.

Edoardo

Edoardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I assume that before I can do a "Restore" I had to have done a "Backup" which of course I haven't (embarrassed look on my face)!

Not sure why I don't use Firefox - can you help me to decide? Does everything (including Java and P2P s/w work just as well?

I really appreciate your help and the time you're giving up to assist me with this nasty.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
good chance restore is turned on
Start>All programes>accessories>system tools>system restore
Choose restore my computer to an earlier date

Edoardo

Edoardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Sorry mate - didn't realize you were talking about System Restore!

Did that ages ago and several times to different restore points over the last couple of months but it keeps coming back with the message that it cannot restore to that time.

Now I have an added problem in that SFC has stopped working!!!!

If I do a re-install of XP by booting up from the CD instead of running setup from within Windows, will it give me the option of upgrading and preserving all my files and progs etc.? Never tried this before!

Thanks again.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
If you reinstall XP you will have to do all the downloads again.
I would leave this as the Last option. Also you can do a repair of xp instead of a reinstall

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
In Internet Explorer go to tools >Internet options>general tab. Delete all cookies, Delete files.
Then go to the Advanced tab click on restore defaults Click ok Reboot

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
If that does not work then try this
You need the XP cd for both of these
Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

* From the Start menu, select Run.
* In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
* Select the OK button.
* Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
* Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

* From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
* Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
* Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
* In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
* In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
* Click the Search button.
* In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
* Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
* Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.
A reinstall of XP is still way off in my opinon

Edited by peterm, 07 October 2006 - 07:37 AM.

Edoardo

Edoardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Followed all your suggestions (Except SFC because if you recall, that doesn't work now!) and I have now been rewarded with a beautiful BSD Grrrrrrrrrr!

Error code is STOP: 0x0000007e
Address AA35AA50 base at AA349000

Are you still sure a complete reinstall can be avoided?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Did you try sfc in safe mode - when you go to safe mode there is also an option for Last known good configuration.
Have you added any new hardware?
Firefox is a great program I have not come across anything that won't load Except Microsoft.com can Play up.
Have you done an online virus scan and Adaware and spybot.In my signature is a link to tune up trial
Try that if that does not work then we go for a repair before a reinstall.
Repair XP
Before a repair or reinstall BACKUP
Have a read of this.
Why use IE
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 07 October 2006 - 06:59 PM.

Edoardo

Edoardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Peter,
I've already tried all of those things and even installed Firefox!
Exactly the same thing - works fine in safe mode but won't connect in normal moide.
Can't do system restore anymore because I have reinstalled Win XP over itself so no restore points other than for the last couple of hours.
I have now noticed that when in normal mode, my internet connection in My Network places is disabled and although I can click on it and re-enable it and it says it is connected, the icon still shows it to be disabled!

Boy, I've just spent 16 hours non-stop trying to resolve this!

Thanks for your continuing help Peter.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
You might have to see Malware!
I am thinking a damaged winsock.
Winsock for XP
If you want to keep going then we can try this
IE Trouble shooter
You might need to print it out.
Make a new restore point 1st so we can get back to where we are.
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 07 October 2006 - 09:43 PM.