Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet Explorer NOT exploring!

• Please log in to reply

Edoardo

Edoardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The story so far.........
Checked the Winsock using MS network diagnostics and it all came out OK with every test passing. Nevertheless I tried the new NETSH commands in SP2 and reset the Winsock catalog just in case I had a dodgy LSP somewhere but still no joy with IE or FireFox in normal mode (both still continue to work fine in safe mode though).

I then tried every Spy, trojan, ad, worm, virus, and hijack cleaner known to man and apart from a few lightweight spywares the system was quite clean and sparking after the cleaners did their job. As a bonus to all this, I do believe my system is starting up and running much faster now!

Also ran Hijackthis and the only dodgy thing I managed to find was a reference to a Microsoft TUN Miniport adaptor which on further examination gave a device state of "connected" but a media state of "disconnected" but Google informed me that this was a byproduct of Microsofts latest little bit of junkware called IPv6 but as I couldn't remove it, I stopped it in Device Manager.

Well......my PC now sings and flies and is generally behaving very well except for one thing...............
INTERNET EXPLORER AND FIREFOX JUST WILL NOT ACCESS THE WEB UNLESS IN SAFE MODE...........ARGHHHHHHHHHH!
Skype, MSN, and Outlook continue to work normally but trying to follow a link on an email or a stored web page fails.

Over to you Peter......(with sincere thanks for your persistance so far) :whistling: Must be owing you about 10 gallons of Fosters by now!

Edited by Edoardo, 08 October 2006 - 11:16 AM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Are you by chance running Nortons protection
If Yes I suggest that you download E trust from my signature
Un install Nortons install Etrust then try Internet.
Or if you are game Make a restore point uninstall Nortons and try Firefox without the Etrust.
If you are not running Nortons then back to the drawing board.

Edited by peterm, 09 October 2006 - 03:10 AM.

Edoardo

Edoardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Back to the drawing board I'm afraid........

I use Kaspersky a/v and anti hacker (comes with Iolo's System Mechanic 6.0 Pro) and Trend Micro's anti spyware.

Every time I do a restart, Trend A/S keeps telling me that my network settings are corrupted and that there is a problem with the plug-ins on my Internet Explorer and offers to fix them after a reboot, which I accept, but nothing changes and I get the same message again. I have also tried disabling every single add on and plug-in but again, nothing changes!

This has just got to be the grand-daddy of all Win XP problems!!!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
You want to remove your network card and re install ?
Make a restore point 1st
When you reboot it will pick it back up.
Do you know how to do this or do you need help

Edoardo

Edoardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I can't physically remove it because it is an integral part of the Asus mobo but I have already deinstalled it in device manager and had it found again under P & P but still the problem persists so it doesn't look like a h/w failure - besides, all the other progs requiring Internet access still work! Also tried updating the driver but it could not find a better one than the one already in use. Also reinstalled the original driver from the mobo CD just to make sure but problem still there.

Edited by Edoardo, 09 October 2006 - 05:05 AM.

Edoardo

Edoardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Just tried another test....
Took the working wireless adaptor from the PC in my network which is working fine and installed it on my PC after disabling the onboard network card on my mobo on the BIOS.

Same situation - IE and FireFox won't connect, everything else does!

At least now I have verified that there is no hidden hardware bug with my network card! :whistling:

Edoardo

Edoardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Peter

I've been doing a bit of lateral thinking and have an idea!

Since I can actuallu access the Internet through a variety of other progs such as Skype and MSN etc., the problem obviously lies with an item exclusively used for web browsing because that is the problem I have and it is not restricted to IE but also manifests itself on FireFox.

Do you have a list of the "bits" (such as DLL's , plug-ins, programs, etc.) that are ONLY used for browsing and not for anything else? I believe one of these "bits" must have got corrupted or is missing and is not replaced when Windows is reinstalled over itself. It is also missed by the System File Checker because I've ran that several times.

It's also unlikely to be a registry problem because I managed to restore it back to June 16th (I've only had this problem for about a week) but still get the same problem!

Any clues?

Edited by Edoardo, 09 October 2006 - 09:14 AM.

Edoardo

Edoardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have another clue that points to the problem having been caused by a malware attack.

I have 4 computers in my household - My Desktop, My Daughters Desktop, My Sons desktop and My Laptop.

My Laptop and My Sons Desktop are working just fine!
My Desktop and My Daughters desktop have exactly the same problem!
The three Desktops are running the same version of Win XP Pro with Windows Update running all the time.
My Laptop has an OEM version Win XP Home (It's only about 2 months old).

All are connected to the same Linksys broadBand router which is configured as a residential gateway. My Desktop is hard wired to it whilst the other three machines are all connected wirelessly. I have also tried resetting the router several times just to eliminate it from the problem.

My problems all started when I inadvertantly left my Routers firewall disabled whilst I was having a problem installing 360Share Pro and the new Java add in (I know.....my stupid fault...but my kids kept nagging me for a source of MP3 downloads and e-Donkey had died!). I don't use the Windows firewall. I have Kaspersky's Anti virus and anti hacking and Trend Micros Spyware detector all constantly running on all machines apart from the Laptop which came with Norton's Internet Security.

I have now tried virtually everything possible to eliminate this fault and have exhausted the limits of my capabilities so if you Peter or anyone else can come up with some ideas (apart from my last resort now which is to do a clean re-install of Win XP) I would be eternally grateful. :whistling: :blink: :help:

Thanks

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*

A few days ago, my IE suddenly stopped connecting giving me a page not found or unable to find server message and this was shortly after I installed the latest version of Java plug in and uninstalled all the older versions.

this may sound a bit out of the ordinary but reinstall the previous java you had

if it works then just update that java ...if you update it you wont have to keep reinstalling it

you can have a old version of java but updates will always keep it to latest version

if its an update doing then consult with java

Edoardo

Edoardo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Eureka!!!!!

Problem gone! :whistling:

My Kaspersky anti-hacker s/w (a firewall really!) had updated itself on the two faulty PC's but not on my Son's PC because the auto update feature had been turned off. The update caused a problem with all browsers but of course had no effect on either Messenger or Skype etc.

removed the Kaspersky anti hacker module from System Mechanic and Bingo........problem gone!

Only took 4 days to sort out :blink:

My sincerest thanks to peter who did his utmost to help me - many thanks mate. :help:

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Sorry My bad advice I did mean to uninstall via device manager.
Not hardware.
I think we have 3 options one is a trip to malware I know you have run Hijack but I think we need one of our malware experts to look at your log.
2nd option is repair
3rd option is reinstall.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Glad you worked it out
Saved a reinstall :whistling:
We now know that Kaspersky can do this. This is why I asked about Nortons
It is normally the bad guy in the situation.
4 Days is nothing some I have worked on we input from a lot of the team have gone for weeks and 1 or 2 a few months :help:
Just depends on something new pops up and all the normal things don't work.
Finding the solution yourself always makes you feel better :blink:

Keep this up and we will have to make you a geek

Cheers
Peterm