Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

monitor problem

• Please log in to reply

pinikovi

pinikovi

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i decided to clean up my computer so i put in the recovery cd and i booted and everything went fine except the
monitor. This is a 17" monitor and i could not change the settings from 640x480 and 16 colors, so i run msconfig and went and changed settings in the system.ini and now i lost everything from the monitor display, it remains blank. I tryed some boot discs for games but nothing happens.
Any ideas?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I can only guess that your original graphics card has been changed since the PC was new, so the driver on the recovery CD is no longer the correct one for the new card.

Run the recovery process again but don't mess with msconfig. look for the driver disk that was supplied with the new graphics card and install from that.

Alternatively, if the graphics card is the same one as when the system was new, you may have been supplied with another CD that just has "drivers and utilities" on it. Run that after doing a recovery and look for the graphics/video folder which will have the driver setup program inside it.

Edited by pip22, 08 October 2006 - 05:16 AM.

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
What kind of Graphic card do you have?

pinikovi

pinikovi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

i decided to clean up my computer so i put in the recovery cd and i booted and everything went fine except the
monitor. This is a 17" monitor and i could not change the settings from 640x480 and 16 colors, so i run msconfig and went and changed settings in the system.ini and now i lost everything from the monitor display, it remains blank. I tryed some boot discs for games but nothing happens.
Any ideas?

Yes but, I don't know if you noticed there is nothing displayed on the monitor. I can hear the windows sound on power on but nothing shows on the monitor.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Switch the monitor off at the mains for a minute, switch it on, do you have a standy light

pinikovi

pinikovi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes the monitor light is on and it it yellow, usually this monitor light is green when it shows things (it is a princeton ultra 72).
I tried another monitor but still nothing was showing, it remained blank.
It seems I would need a disc or a cd to power up the system. Since I don't have another windows 98 system (the one i am working on now has XP widows home edition), how can I make a system disc ?