Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trend Micro Anti-Spyware damaged network config

• Please log in to reply

Bill in NJ

Bill in NJ

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So what I thought originally was a spyware or trojan horse problem has now turned into something where I can no longer get on the internet or ping anything at all.

When I reboot, Trend Micro Spyware pops up and says, hey, we noticed your network config is damaged, would you like us to repair? And of course, I click, Sure please do, and then reboot, and continue in that nasty vicious circle. I have tried everything I can think of, short of reinstalling Windows, which I suppose I can do, but would rather not. I am 99% sure the spyware app is responsible.

Does anyone have any similar experience? Suggestions? Am I hosed and just need to bite the bullet? If I boot from a Windows XP pro CD, any chance I can try reinstalling TCP/IP or something? The option to uninstall TCP/IP is greyed out and not available or I would have tried that. I am getting an IP address assigned, but can't even ping my gateway, whether thought my router or direct to the cable modem.

Bill

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi Bill,

If your getting a 192.168.x.x (172.16.X.X or 10.x.x.x are also good) IP and gateway then you are connected to the router/modem. You should try entering Safe Mode with network. Start /Run/open=msconfig. Click "Boot.ini" and click "safe boot then next to it click "network". Click OK and restart.

Once in safe mode enter your account and see if you can surf. This indicates that someting you are running is blocking you off the net if you can surf.

If you are getting a 169.x.x.x IP you have something else wrong. In XP SP 2 go to Start /Run /open=cmd. type in "netsh wnsock reset" (no quotes) press enter then restart. once restarted see if you can surf.

Bill in NJ

Bill in NJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I followed the recommendation and booted into safe mode, and voi la! I have internet again. :whistling: I'm not sure where I should go from here unfortunately. If anyone has any problem isolation suggestions or techniques I'd love to hear them.

I will only be able to check back on this forum later on today as I'm supposed to go "fix" my mother's computer later. <SIGH> The irony of it all.

This forum rocks btw! You guys are great.