Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP ethernet connection

• Please log in to reply

phdutton

phdutton

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, got a bit of a problem with a basic network.
It's just between my machine and DSL router. Have been happily using a wireless connection for some time, with no real problems. I recently installed Windows Vista RC1, for which there is no driver for my wireless card (Belkin PCI one). So I ran a cable between my machine and router. The internet was so much more responsive, so I thought I'd get rid of the wireless altogether. Now, I have 2 installs on WinXP on my machine, one for normal use, and one for Pro Tools (my music recording software). The Pro Tools install works fine (I'm writing this through it). However my normal boot won't use it. The wireless works fine, however the wired one gives me a dead connection. It gets an IP address from the router, but won't send any data either way. I have tried everything I can think of, 'repairing' the connection, and reinstalling the network card drivers. Doesn't seem to make any difference.

Please help!

Pete.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Since it's accepting DHCP from the router I would suspect a firewall or security software. Try booting into safe mode with network. Start /Run /open=msconfig. click "Boot.ini" and click "safe boot then click "network" next to safe boot. Click OK and restart the PC. See if the problem is still there.

phdutton

phdutton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did try it without the firewall on, made no difference. But since it's the same firewall that was protecting the wireless connection I would have been suprised if it was that. Not tried safe mode though, so will give that a shot. If that clears it up, then what?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Then it's a matter of figuring out what is running in normal mode that is causing the issue. If it's still the same in safe mode it's probably a corruption of the TCP/IP stack or the winsocks are corrupted.

If this is Service Pack 2 you can reset the stack and winsocks from command line. In safe mode go to Start /run /open=cmd. Type in "netsh winsock reset" (no quotes) press enter. Now don't restart yet. Go back to Start /run /open=msconfig. On the General tab click on "normal startup", click OK and restart. See if this fixed the problem.

phdutton

phdutton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK, it didn't work in safe mode.
I tried resetting winsocks from the command line, as you said. Again, no different.
Still doesn't work.
Any more ideas?

Thanks,
Pete.