Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Burning DVDs with NeroVision (Nero 7)

• Please log in to reply

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Every heard of spontaneous combustion? Well, I think my computer spontaneously fixed itself somewhere along the line. I had to reboot again after cleaning off the Nero, and then I decided to remove the XP Pro disk just to see if it was actually using that disk. NOPE! It seemed to take longer than I remember, but it boots up on its own without any help. Go figure.

Advertisements

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
arrrrrgggghhhh! Even after cleaning Nero 7 off the computer and reinstalling it, I still am having the same problems as before!!! When I click Export, the program crashes every single time. Obviously, there is some problem here. I didn't load the newest 7.5 version because of the crap it put on my taskbar. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I still get the message (error?) about not having my hardware accelerated, even though it is. This is troubling. It's as if my Nero came to me already corrupted off the CD installation disk. It shouldn't be doing this! How can I keep that Nero search from being loaded into my taskbar?

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Okay, I finally burned half of my movie (Part 1). This is the first successful burn I can remember in a long time. However, the movie is embedded in a series of files that have *.vob names. I don't know why, but the movie isn't titled. I certainly spent a lot of time fixing the headers and footers within Nero, but I guess somehow it still ended up without a title! How do I change this? Instead I have two folders: VIDEO_RM and VIDEO_TS. Inside the Video_TS folder is where my movie lies. There are 9 files and four which say VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, VTS_01_3.VOB and VTS_01_04.VOB. I don't know why I have 4 files with movie info in them, but I do. One of them is the menu. All of them are between 1,048,544 KB - 476,128 KB. I just don't get this. This has never happened before. I think the movie which was part 1, was split into 2 parts - so now I have half of part 1 in one file and half in the other file. This is ridiculous. Why is it doing this? How can I fix this?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
They will play as one file

The other files should show the titles etc

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Keith,

Thanks for all your help and putting up with my moods! I have burned both parts of the movie and am even working on the third movie as I type. Only 55 more to go! I still can't - or don't know how to - accelerate my hardware anymore than it is. The slider is all the way to full, but it's extremely slow going. It's going about 1x - so about the time I could watch the movie is how long it takes to burn. Does that seem right to you? My burner is slow - I think it's 4x, but I'm not getting that speed.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it hardware acceleration in media player, tools, performance?

Has it mentioned DMA being enabled?

Did you get the same result with convert2dvd

http://www.vso-softw...nvert_x_to_dvd/

Use rewriteable discs to test it as the trial watermarks the output but it will check if it is the burner or Nero

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
When I go into Control Panel, Display, Settings, Advanced, Troubleshoot, there is a question about whether the computer is having problems with the graphic hardware. There is a slider bar which says "Hardware Acceleration". My slider bar is all the way to full. I'm thinking that this should make the DVD burning go as fast as it possibly can, but it is moving like a tortoise. Not only that, but when I click on automatic chapter detection in Nero, it takes about 45 minutes for the program to find the chapters in just one movie.

What will this program do? How will it increase the speed? Will it increase the speed at which they are burned? All the movies I have are already on my computer in *.avi format. I guess I've spent so much time on burning that if I download this program and I like it, I may be tempted to buy it. On the other hand, I just looked at the prices and they're pretty steep. I paid $80 for Nero, that's about 160 pounds. I don't think I'll be paying another $70 for this little program.

All of this burning has taken me several hours to do. I've spent one day just burning 1 movie. Yes, 1 movie. Okay, so I've been doing other things, but it is so slow going. One of my movies stopped burning in the middle, as the progress bar stopped moving, but the time elapsed kept going. I think it did that for about an hour. Then, when I completely erased the rewriteable disk, it took 28 minutes to do that! I'm starting to feel like this is an enormous undertaking. It's a good thing I'm on vacation. I just wouldn't have this kind of time, if I were working.

I realize I can try the software if I want, but then it will put a watermark on my movie, and I'll have to erase it (28 minutes, remember?) I'm just trying to save money. There has to be an easier way. I seem to remember burning DVDs in the past and it was much much faster. So, I don't know what's wrong. It seems like the movies just jumped from scene to scene.

I just noticed something: I bought 25 DVDs RW for $18. The speed is 4x, could that be why this is so slow? I think my DVD burner can only burn 4x. Does this mean 4 x regular speed?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There is a hardware acceleration setting in media player, if you open that, click tools, performance, see how it is set there

Trying the other programme will just check whether it is Nero or the PC governing the speed, there won't be a need to buy it

When 80 USD is worth 160 GBP I will move there :whistling:

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
So I goofed on the currency conversion. :whistling: You know what I meant. We pay about twice what you pay. Perhaps it's about the same in the end. I checked the Media Player, and the slider is all the way to full acceleration. I wish I knew what was taking so freakin long. I'm growing old here. I am doing other things, but when I check on this, maybe the progress meter has moved 2 bars.

You're right I could try the program to see if it's Nero or my computer. My guess: my computer. It could be Nero, but then why did I buy it, if it was so freakin slow? Humor me, I'm thinking out loud here. I know I downloaded the trial version before I bought it and I liked it. I also know that before I bought Nero, I used Roxio, but I think Roxio only could burn CDs, not DVDs. I seem to remember that I had to buy a program that would burn DVDs. I guess if I really want to find out, I could try that program. What can I do if it is my computer? Throwing it away is not an option. I just ordered a new 250 GB HD.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The longest part is chkdsk /f /r but the whole thing should be done in three hours

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Advertisements

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hi Keith,

Okay I did everything you recommended, except without the XP disk. I don't have one. I already had TuneUp Utilities, which I just love, and so I actually did that part first before I got your post. I also ran it again at the end of everything. It fixed over 1000 errors!

Does not having an XP disk mean that my computer will not be fixed?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it stlll slow with Nero

Can you borrow an XP CD

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Nero is extremely slow. I think one of the reasons for this is that I have it making two passes when it burns. It takes about 3 hours to burn one 2 hour movie. I guess I can live with this. I'll just have to plan to burn 1-2 movies a day, when I have time.

As far as getting the XP CD, I'll ask around...The people that I know who are geeks, tend to have better stuff than I do. One guy has several technical toys, iPods and all kinds of other stuff for recording live music with high quality. I don't even know what some of the stuff he has is...He may have an old copy of XP. I'll bet he's already running Vista.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
3 hours is usual for Nero if it is transcoding, and at two passes, even with standard play 5073kbps

You could set one just as you turn in for the night and at least that's one done for breakfast

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Everything was going so well. I had burned about 6 movies and everything was running smoothly. Well, now I think I've blown it!!! I couldn't leave well enough alone. I had these MKV (Matroska) files that I wanted to convert to AVI, so I was downloading converter apps right and left. I'm fairly certain that one (or more) of these apps changed some settings, and now I am unable to burn almost any of the movies I have left. Whenever I start Nero, I see the MKV logo in the taskbar, so somehow it's starting when I open NeroVision. I checked my program defaults for my computer, and the media player was set for current. I clicked on Windows Media Player. It appeared that Windows was recording this change. What keeps happening is that as soon as I choose the file and add it, then Nero stops responding. I check my Task Manager and every time, it gets hung up right after I try to add the file. I've tried several different files, so I don't think it's the files. In fact, I was burning a British series about 6 people (I won't name it), and the first 6 episodes were fine. Then, when I tried to add the next 3 episodes, Nero kept hanging up.

So, this is what I've done: 1) I restarted my computer. 2) I removed and reloaded the newest Nero (the 7.5). 3) I deleted a few of the suspicious MKV converter apps. And, still I keep getting hung up while trying to burn. I know that some of the files prompted me to select file extensions. One even claimed that several file types were broken. It wouldn't work if I left the broken files intact. It kept prompting me to remove Nero files, but I didn't. I removed some of the other files that this app claimed were broken.

Is there any way you can help me to reset Nero? I thought the reloading would certainly do it, but now I don't know what's wrong, unless it's those [bleep] apps that did something. I'm certain I didn't used to see the MKV logo in the taskbar, I just saw that FFD decoder, but now I see both. As soon as I manage to make Nero quit, the MKV and FFD logos disappear from the taskbar when I mouse over them.

I've thought about removing the MKV apps, but then I'm not sure that my files will still work.