Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Battlefield 2/2142

• Please log in to reply

JonTheCanuck

JonTheCanuck

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hey guys, i've had battlefield 2 for a while and it used to run smoothly, now recently the game just seems like its way slower and the game will often "hiccup", i guess u could say, frequently. Its just really annoying cause it often freezes for a second or so and gets me killed :whistling: also battlefield 2142 runs appaulling even on medium setting and as far as i can tell the graphics aren't that much better than that of battlefield 2. I've run ad-aware, webroot spysweeper, trend micro online scan and theres no viruses, have AVG free virus scan. So i dont think its a virus or spyware, possibly software conflicts or something of that nature. Here are my system specs...

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180
Memory (RAM): 1024 MB
CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz
CPU Speed: 3196.1 MHz
Sound card: Realtek HD Audio rear output
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768 - 32 bit
:
Network Adapters: Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: E: LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-832S | F: SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616Q | G: IQ0475H ZAU906Q | H: ZQ1947U BOV626W
:
COM Ports: COM3
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 5 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 227.5GB | D: 5.3GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 128.3GB | D: 680.4MB
USB Controllers: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): 1 host controllers.
:
Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
Product Make: PC099A-ABA M1080N
:
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 07/26/04 | A M I - 7000426
Time Zone: Pacific Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. Puffer
Modem: Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem
SAMSUNG Mobile USB Modem

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Are you doing anything differently since everything was fine? For example, do you have unnecessary applications such aas Instant Messaging programs and such running while you play?

JonTheCanuck

JonTheCanuck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i do have msn running in the background but i've always had that before when things were working fine, also i've tried it without anything running in the background but it didn't seem to have any effect

Edited by JonTheCanuck, 07 October 2006 - 05:25 PM.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Have you tried updating your hardware drivers?
Also try lowering the quality settings for your sound card to see if that helps.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
I wouldn't be suprised if it was happening because of bf2142 demo being released. They had lots of login/master account server issues as a result.

JonTheCanuck

JonTheCanuck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i suppose that could be it, i might try adding another 512mb of ram in there seeing as how it says the recommended is 1500mb and i got 1024mb in it right now.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
It won't hurt that is for sure. It will help the maps load quicker.

I recently upgraded my system as well. Seems to help. I keep getting frequent disconnects though.

jimfred

jimfred

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
my sons pc was lagging on battlefield 2 and hiccuping like u said he had 2 512 mb sticks of ram in his also so i installed 2 more sticks and the game plays a whole lot better now and also bf 2142 plays just as good hope this helps ....jim

JonTheCanuck

JonTheCanuck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ya that helps a lot actually cause thats what i have, 2 512 sticks, i figure i'll buy maybe another 2. Thx for yur reply

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yeah 1gb is just shy under the breaking point if you follow me for bf2.
It only takes just a hair more memory than 1gb to make the world of difference on bf2.
1.5gb is plenty to run bf2 on full settings with no problems at all smoothly.

Stiletto

Stiletto

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I noticed you said you ran spysweeper?? Are you running the newest version of Spysweeper? It runs resident and I had the exact same "pausing" issue with my BF2 and once I un-installed Spysweeper totally, it went away. Might want to try that and see if it helps..