Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU fan always at max RPM

• Please log in to reply

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, I have a P4 660 3.6GHz with a Zalman CNPS9500 fan/heatsink, an ASUS P5B motherboard and 2 powerful case fans (one front intake).

My problem is that even with my CPU at idle, and the temperature around 45 degrees Celsius, my CPU fan stays at its max 2600rpm, which is quite loud. I have Asus Q-Fan enabled in the BIOS, and set to "silent" mode as well! This is the lowest setting, the other 2 are "optimum" and "performance", but my fan stays at 2600rpm all the time.

My old MSI board had a "target CPU temp" setting in the BIOS, and when the CPU was below it, the fan was at idle, and silent. Is there a way of setting this temperature with some software?

Thanks

Edited by tomdrayson, 07 October 2006 - 04:47 PM.

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
ummmm yeah the 9500 comes with fanmate 2.0 controller box. I sure hope you have this installed, as far as i know this is the best way of actually controling the fan. It also depend on where you pluged the power for the 9500 in. I control my 9500 with the fan mate.
http://www.tekheads....n_mate_2_fs.jpg
The knob on the controller allows you to pick any speed between 1200rpm to 2600 rpm. If you have this installed and your fan doesn't respond to changes of the controller you either installed it wrong. or you have a defective unit (the fanmate)
As to software well speed fan should allow you to do that.

Edited by †Gladiator†, 08 October 2006 - 12:57 PM.

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Yeh I have a Fan Mate but it's a pain manually adjusting the speed... I would like to set it to change automatically in accordance to CPU temperature, like every other fan I have used!

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
speed fan should be your best bet. I am however puzzled by why Q fan wouldn't work If i turned on Q fan in my bios it usually turns the rpm down to around 1900 rpm. Do you have the power of the 9500 plugged into the right spot? and just out of curiousity how do you monitor ur fanspeed (i use asus probe) the 9500 even on full rpm in a closed case with other fans should not be loud at all.

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
The fan is plugged into the CPU_FAN socket on the motherboard. It's only 3-pin though, whereas the motherboard socket is 4-pin, not sure whether this makes any difference.
I use Asus Probe (latest version) to monitor my temps/speeds, and they are all accurate.

I have no spare floor space next to my desk for my PC, so it is on top of my desk, right next to me, which is why it sounds loud!

Thanks for your suggestions

nnaso

nnaso

• Pip
  • 9 posts
A slight imperfection in the physical nature of the fan can produce louder than average noises...

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
...OK, but that's not the issue. I don't think my fan is "louder than average", I'm just trying to get the rpm automatically regulated.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you say..."The fan is plugged into the CPU_FAN socket on the motherboard. It's only 3-pin though, whereas the motherboard socket is 4-pin, not sure whether this makes any difference."...yep

3 to 4 pin Y fan power Adaptor here for $3.00

http://www.trianglec...ninpowad4p.html

or here

http://gallery.bcent...amp;PID=1720790

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
It's not a molex connector, it's the same as a 3 pin socket, but one pin wider... There is just a spare pin at the side of the socket at the moment.

I imagine a 4 pin fan connector which fits my 4 pin motherboard socket would look like the attached image.
Thanks

Edited by tomdrayson, 15 October 2006 - 07:04 AM.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
hmm that could be a problem cause all the sockets on my mobo are 3 pin for the fans. What mobo do you have? It's probably the reason why Q fan wouldn't work is the socket where you plug in your cpu fan right beside the cpu fan mounting brackets? can you take a shot of your case in that area just to save some time for clarification?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the link I gave you may be wrong ..BUT they do make a 3 to 4 pin adapter...try the 2nd link or do a search yourself...and if I remember correctly the one I got also han a molex connector so you could actualy power the fan/fans from the molex connector...put one in about 3 years ago...memory is a little /lot foggy when I try to remember that far back...even hurts a little bit :whistling: ...if you have a local computer repair shop...drop by and get one they are cheap

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
OK my motherboard is an Asus P5B, there are 4 fan headers altogether, 2x case fan headers, a PSU RPM monitor (PWR_FAN) and the CPU fan header. The CPU fan header is the only one with 4 pins.

My previous motherboard only had a 3 pin CPU fan header and it regulated the fan speed very well. How come this Asus board needs an extra pin? What's it for? The motherboard is READING the CPU temp and fan RPM fine, but just not slowing the fan down when the CPU is cool.

Thanks

Edited by tomdrayson, 15 October 2006 - 10:24 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look in the mobo manual...if you dont have one go to ASUS and download it...

http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
where did you get the heatsink and fan from...seems that its not intel approved...the approved ones would come with a 4 pin connector that would work properly with your board...you will have to replace the heatsink fan you have now or leave the one you have in and listen to it run...another thing..if you ever go to a dual core processor you will have to plug the CPU fan into a chassis fan conector on the mobo

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
I've got a manual, but what exactly am I looking for in it? Why would I have to plug the CPU fan into a chassis fan header if I had a dual core CPU?

Edited by tomdrayson, 15 October 2006 - 01:08 PM.